cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Client Additional severs via command line

newguy77
Level 2

Hi Guys,

We are currently trying to add some new media server hostnames to the the "additional servers"  in Client Properties under the server tab. The problem is that we have over 1,000 clients to change. I know you can manually do it, which would take forever, but is there a way I could automate this via command line? I've been looking through the command guide but I think I'm missing something?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

On the Master in the netbackup\bin\ directory is the add_media_servers_on_clients executable

Run this on the Master and it will update all clients to have the same servers in their list as the Master has

It will need to be able to connect to them all to do it

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

When you say automate, how many clients do you want to add the additional servers to?

All of them? Just a few in specific policies?

newguy77
Level 2

We have to add the new media server hostnames to all of our client properties.

Thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

On the Master in the netbackup\bin\ directory is the add_media_servers_on_clients executable

Run this on the Master and it will update all clients to have the same servers in their list as the Master has

It will need to be able to connect to them all to do it

Hope this helps

Stumpr2
Level 6

NetBackup geezer alert!

Longtime ago the add_media_servers_on_clients was an ordinary shell and it is where bpgp was discovered ;)

It pulled the bp.conf file from the client to the master, added the server, wrote new bp.conf on client.

Stumpr2
Level 6

If you are mostly windows then you can write vbs or whatever to export the server key from the registry, append the new server and then import the new key.

HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Netbackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Server

Using the NetBackup GUI to alter client properties page really sucks because you can only do about 25 servers at a time.

DG-2005
Level 5

hopefully simplistic things like this call be rolled out (along with auto updating of clients)

newguy77
Level 2

We ended up doing it by hand. We didnt use the add_media_servers_on_clients executable as there are quite a few servers that on the master that we don't want pushed to all clients.

Thanks for the assistance. I'm not sure how to close this but the topic can be closed.

Doctorski
Level 5

Why not use bpgetconfig / bpsetconfig with the relevant switches. I am assuming it works on windows the same as unix.

When we changed our Master we used it to modify hundreds of clients via a script in about 2 minutes.

- Darren

Stumpr2
Level 6

this too will work but there is one caveate. You have to add all media servers with the command. You can't add a single server but must add the entire list

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi,

Thats what the bpgetconfig is for. We get the server list, edit it to what we require (adding or removing media servers), and then use bpsetconfig to send it back.

For example to add a new media server we do

bpgetconfig -M client_name Server  | awk '
$1=="Server" { print $0 }
END {print "Server = newmediaserver"}' > /tmp/setconfig

then

bpsetconfig -h client_name /tmp/setconfig

Works like a charm for us.

Stumpr2
Level 6

ayep. As long as you include all the Servers originally designated along with the new server then it works. Unfortunately the documentation for bp(gs)etconfig does not do a good job of explaining.