What was the problem with the Vault Catalog (url is sufficent). In what release was it suppose to be fixed in? The notification about the NBU 6.5.4 VSP/VSS problem with Windows clients just made my July 4th (more fireworks from Symantec).
Well one day I flew to Georgia to do a DR test and of course I took my handy Vault Catalog tapes with me, I took 4 copies, thinking this is gonna be easy restore test. The next day go to the test siite, do everything the silly e-mail tells me to do, now this is the e-mail you get every morning from Netbackup - this is the one with the that has the UBAK file and all the steps you need to do in order to restore the catalog, I'm thinking cool - no worries - yeah sure I stick the stupid tape into the libray - get it mounted - try the cruddy bprecover -wizard it failes try the gui it fails - call netbackup 4 techs later and 32 hours later it fails all failes, turns out the UBAK file is written incorrectly by Netbackup this is a bug in 6.5.2, so whats the moral of this story, dont backup youre catalog sending to disk and or the old tape meathod, upgrade netbackup as fast as you can, 6.5.2 stinks. DIsk restore is super fast best way!!
With what I am seeing in Etrack, I am thinking of upgrading my Master and Media Servers to NBU 6.5.4 for Windows. Then, I was going to upgrade my Windows clients to NBU 6.5.3 for Windows. Hopefully this will get me around the VSP/VSS problem.
The vault issue that has me concerned is: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/320378.htm
Since we use a VTL, I do allow multiple retentions per media.