cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade 7.1.0.4 to 7.5.0.5

snawaz3
Level 6

After running the upgrade a image cleanup job ran. Attached doc shows an hot catalog error mesage. What is this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The cold catalog backup is no longer supported or an option

Just create a new Policy and select the policy type to be NBU-Catalog

Choose the storage unit to use and the tape pool (this should be CatalogBackup volume pool - so you may need some new tapes in there or to re-use your old ones you will need to de-assign and bplabel them)

Check through the guides for all the details on these catalog backup policy options

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

NetBackup will always return a status of 1 for an image cleanup job if you do not have a HOT catalog backups configured

It is warning you that you should have a HOT Catalog Backup policy configured - once you have that done it will end with a ststus of 0

Nothing to worry about as far as your upgrade goes

snawaz3
Level 6

should I setup a hot catalog backup policy.? I read somewhere sometime that 7x only does hot catlog backup. If i do need to set it up.....next question is how. What is the difference between regular catalog backup and hot catalog backup

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The cold catalog backup is no longer supported or an option

Just create a new Policy and select the policy type to be NBU-Catalog

Choose the storage unit to use and the tape pool (this should be CatalogBackup volume pool - so you may need some new tapes in there or to re-use your old ones you will need to de-assign and bplabel them)

Check through the guides for all the details on these catalog backup policy options

snawaz3
Level 6

Would it be too much to ask how to de-assign and bplabel old tapes.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How to configure Hot Catalog Backups with Symantec NetBackup (tm) 6.x/7.x

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH42555

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

No problem - you may want to hang onto them for a while anyway (just in case you need to roll back!!)

But when you are ready you can do the following :

expire them : \netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpexpdate -m ABC123 -d 0

This may be enough to remove the assigned date from it - test it my moving it to the CatalogBackup Pool (right click - Change - new pool)

If that works then follow up with (where hcart here matches your current density of the tape and mediaservername is the name of the media sever with the tape library attached) - this is case sensitive so hcart is lower case and CatalogBackup has upper case C and B:

\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bplabel -m ABC123 -d hcart -p CatalogBackup -host mediaservername

If the expire didn't release the tape then you can use:

\volmgr\bin\vmquery -deassignbyid ABC123

Let me know if any of this doesn't work or you need more help