Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade BMR Boot server on solaris

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi,

I have NBU 6.5.5 installed, with windows and unix platform.
My master server is on windows, with 2 media servers on sol 10 and 10 media servers on windows.

We have 1 BMR Boot server on solaris 10

Now, I am upgrading it to NBU 7, How I will upgrade BMR Boot server on solrais. I checked the BMR guide but didn't find any thing helpful.

BR,
Ryan
6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
NB7 server or client software, is this just a case of upgrading the client on which your BMR boot server resides?

"...
UNIX Package Consolidation
In NetBackup 7.0, most of the add-on products and database agents are now installed with the NetBackup server or the client package. Separate installation for these products is no longer needed.
The following products are now included in the NetBackup server package (if the platform supports the product):
■ BMR master server
■ NDMP
■ NetBackup Vault
The following products are now included in the NetBackup client package (if the platform supports the product):
■ BMR Boot server
■ DB2
■ NetBackup Encryption
■ Informix
■ LiveUpdate agent
■ Lotus Notes
■ Oracle
■ SAP
■ Snapshot Client
■ Sybase
The binaries for the listed products are laid down with the server or the client package. A valid license is still required to enable the product.
..."

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

From 7.0, BMR Boot server is made as part of NBU client.
If you upgrade NBU client on solaris 10 machine to 7.0, BMR BS will automatically get upgraded.
The case where BMR BS is not enabled earlier, you can do that on NBU client upgrade to 7.0 using "bmrsetupboot -register" command. But in your case BMR BS is already active on your solaris 10 machine, so running this CLI is not required. Once you upgrade NBU client to 7.0, please confirm your boot server version in NBU admin GUI -> BMR-> Boot server menu.

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Thanks for the feedback,

actually that server is acting as only BMR boot server for Solaris. So Should I have to install NBU client only?

BR,
Ryan

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Yes.
7.0 NBU client installation on that solaris box will internally take care of bmr bs upgrade as well.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks, One more query,

What about Enterprise Client, I have Enterprise client for Solaris with Oracle Agent for NBU 6.5.4.

How to update this, I read that I have to uninstall Oracle agent during the installation.

Regards,
Ryan

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If agent was installed as a package it needs to be uninstalled. Only Server software is installed as packages. Client files and agents are merely copied to /usr/openv.
If Enterprise Client in your situation means SAN Media Server, it means that NBU Server software is installed. If Enterprise Client is used for Snapshot Client only, chances are that Client software is installed with agent and option software added via file copy.

Extract from install guide:

For Solaris servers only, remove the 6.x versions of all add-on products and database agents.
The installation script displays a list of the add-on products and the agents that are currently installed. The script also offers to remove these earlier versions for you and Symantec recommends this method.
You also have the option to remove these items manually before the upgrade occurs. These items must be removed before you upgrade to version 7.0. If you remove these items after an upgrade to version 7.0, part of the NetBackup installation is destroyed and the product cannot function.
If you decide to remove these products manually, you must stop the upgrade here. Refer to the appropriate NetBackup 6.x documentation for instructions on how to remove each add-on product or agent.

So, the easiest is to start the installation and watch the output carefully.