cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NB from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6.0.2

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Folks,

I am plan to upgrade my environment from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6.0.2 version.I need some information and help.

1)Shall we directly upgrade from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6.0.1 leavel or will have to upgrade from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6 ?

My plan : 7.5.0.4 -->7.6.0.1 -->7.6.0.2 (this is plan for my upgrade)

2)How many hours will take for metadata DB migration?..we have /opt/openv size around 370GB size..How can i calculate matadata DB migration time?

3)Wheather we have to remove SYMCnetbp package before we start upgrade?..I have removed while upgrading on 7.5.X version on last year.

4)I dont have deduplication in our environment.We have only vault & duplication.I hope there is no MSDP migration will come on picture.Please confirm.

ANy othere challenge we will face during upgrade?If any one upgrade before,please help on here..

My master & media server - Solaris 10

Tape library - Sun tek SL 500

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will notice that the Upgrade Guide describes 2 scenarios - upgrade from pre-7.5 and upgrade from 7.5.

The image header migration happened when you upgraded to 7.5. 

Extract:

About planning a NetBackup 7.6 upgrade
The currently installed version of NetBackup affects the upgrade process for the
NetBackup 7.6 upgrade. For pre-NetBackup 7.5 environments, you must plan for
the complete catalog migration, as well as the MSDP conversion, if necessary.
NetBackup 7.5 environments need to plan for catalog migration of the Oracle, SQL
Server, and DB2 catalog data. NetBackup 7.5 environments must also plan for the
MSDP conversion if the environment uses MSDP.

Under: How to plan for an upgrade to NetBackup 7.6

You will see the following:

Depending on the size of the catalog, the catalog migration can take a long time.
If you upgrade from NetBackup 7.5.x.x, the catalog size is calculated based only
on the number of Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2 backups.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NBU35
Level 6

1)Shall we directly upgrade from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6.0.1 leavel or will have to upgrade from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6 ?

My plan : 7.5.0.4 -->7.6.0.1 -->7.6.0.2 (this is plan for my upgrade)

As per my knowledge 7.6 itsself means 7.6.0.1. and then you have o applu for the patch 7.6.0.2.

So your plan 7.5.0.4 -->7.6.0.1 -->7.6.0.2  wil work .

2)How many hours will take for metadata DB migration?..we have /opt/openv size around 370GB size..How can i calculate matadata DB migration time?

time of image data migration depends on the no of images to be migrated, ao accordingly you also need to modfiy server.conf file. no of images can be calculated as following:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -idonly
-d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -pt DB2 | wc -l
-d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -pt Oracle | wc -l
-d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -pt MS-SQL-Server | wc -l

in upgardation to 7.6 databases are also upgraded to sybase version 12.0.1. time of this database rebulid can be estimated as follows:

calulate the size of bmr.db in GB and multiply it with 12 and value woould be minutes to rebuild it.
and do same for the remaining dbs but multiply by 7.5.

3)Wheather we have to remove SYMCnetbp package before we start upgrade?..I have removed while upgrading on 7.5.X version on last year.

Yes it should be removed, it will ask is it part of upgardation.. press YES.

4)I dont have deduplication in our environment.We have only vault & duplication.I hope there is no MSDP migration will come on picture.Please confirm.

If dedup is not there then there will be no MSPD migration.

Please correct if I Missed any thing.

Marianne
Level 6

I agree with all of the answers above.

Please do yourself a favour and download these 2 manuals:

NetBackup 7.6 Upgrade Guide 
NetBackup Installation Guide 

Please take note of increased system resources needed for NBU 7.6.
Minimum memory on the master is 8GB.

Check out SORT as well:   https://sort.symantec.com/checklist/install

NBU 7.x Upgrade portal: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584

jim_dalton
Level 6

And if you are running BMR it can take a very long time and would benefit from a fixup which is available.

Do  a search for 7601 experiences, theres a whole thread of peoples experiences and well worth a read together with the other previous pointers.

Jim

susindran_surul
Level 6

HI Folk,

Thanks for your update.I have checked with our environement below list of images is available.I have went through document,i fould from graph is showing around 2.5 hrs for 5laks images.

I am required few information.How can i know wheather all image is Insufficient resources or Simple method or Guided method.In upgrade guide showing those there images Vs Migration Time.Please help on here.

$ sudo /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -idonly -d "01/01/1970 00:0    0:00" | wc -l

$ sudo /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -idonly -d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -pt Oracle |wc -l
$

$ sudo /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -idonly -d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -pt MS-SQL-Server | wc -l
$

$ sudo /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -idonly -d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -pt DB2 |wc -l
no entity was found
$

Another one info in upgrade document.Its showing after upgraded we need to check meta data migration status using below command after run the image cleanup.Please confirm this command will exit after migration completes with status of 0 ? or any other command is there to check the status of migration.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbemmcmd –listsettings -brief -machinename masterservername

Thanks,

Susi.S

susindran_surul
Level 6

Thank you.I am reading those document.

Marianne
Level 6

You will notice that the Upgrade Guide describes 2 scenarios - upgrade from pre-7.5 and upgrade from 7.5.

The image header migration happened when you upgraded to 7.5. 

Extract:

About planning a NetBackup 7.6 upgrade
The currently installed version of NetBackup affects the upgrade process for the
NetBackup 7.6 upgrade. For pre-NetBackup 7.5 environments, you must plan for
the complete catalog migration, as well as the MSDP conversion, if necessary.
NetBackup 7.5 environments need to plan for catalog migration of the Oracle, SQL
Server, and DB2 catalog data. NetBackup 7.5 environments must also plan for the
MSDP conversion if the environment uses MSDP.

Under: How to plan for an upgrade to NetBackup 7.6

You will see the following:

Depending on the size of the catalog, the catalog migration can take a long time.
If you upgrade from NetBackup 7.5.x.x, the catalog size is calculated based only
on the number of Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2 backups.