cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NBK to a new server

Max_Bemrose
Level 3

Hi All,

Apologies should this be simple but i am fairly new to NBK and although i have found some great KB articles and threads i am not sure they all relate to my particular context.

I would like to perform an upgrade of NBK from 6.5.4 to 7.  I currently have a win 2003 32bit server as my master.  I would like to migrate this to a 2008 64bit server, which would also including changing the hostname to a new convention.

I know i can perform and inline upgrade, but was wondering what the best process might be step by step to complete the migration to a new OS, and restore the existing catalogue policies etc.

Are there any major risks involved?  I was wondering would i need to change the media server in anyway should a new master server be bought online? (different hostname) Is any ID information kept on the tapes that could cause issues with restores? (It worth stating my master server also serves as a media server and has a robot attached to it.)

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

You can certainly migrate from 32-bit Windows 2003 to 64-bit Windows 2008.  That process is documented in a technote.

You can not, however, change the hostname in a supported operation - you'll need to keep it the same.  The host name is buried in files and registry entries.

Last year I heard from a very trusted Symantec employee that it took at least 15 steps to change a hostname and that included registry hacks.  If any step was done incorrectly or out of order, you would have to start over from scratch.  He was not willing to publish the steps until it could be simplified.

Keeping the host name the same, migrate from your existing master to a 6.5.4 master on 64-bit Win2k8.  When it's all proven itself, upgrade that to 7.0.1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

You can certainly migrate from 32-bit Windows 2003 to 64-bit Windows 2008.  That process is documented in a technote.

You can not, however, change the hostname in a supported operation - you'll need to keep it the same.  The host name is buried in files and registry entries.

Last year I heard from a very trusted Symantec employee that it took at least 15 steps to change a hostname and that included registry hacks.  If any step was done incorrectly or out of order, you would have to start over from scratch.  He was not willing to publish the steps until it could be simplified.

Keeping the host name the same, migrate from your existing master to a 6.5.4 master on 64-bit Win2k8.  When it's all proven itself, upgrade that to 7.0.1.

Max_Bemrose
Level 3

Wicked many thanks Ed.