cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NBU 7.1 --> 7.1.0.4 --> 8.0

Kai2209
Level 4

We do have a master server based on solaris 10 with netbackup version 7.1 and plan to upgrade to 8.0. With this upgrade we also want to move o/s platform to redhat 6.7.

So first step was to make a catalog backup of the master and install 7.1 on the new redhat server. Installation went smoothly but upgrade to 7.1.0.4 looks also fine.

When trying to do a "bprecover -wizard" it asks for the DR file and errors out with "./bprecover: symbol lookup error: /usr/openv/lib/libVdb.so: undefined symbol: db_OpenImgWithLockByPathNb"

I tried the same without the 7.1.0.4 maintanance upgrade and the bprecover works. So something with the upgrade seems to wrong. If seen another post with a corrupt data file but downloaded everything again and same result Smiley Sad

any ideas

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sorry all for the delay but was not able to answer before.

I fixed the issue. Downloaded the software again despite the checksum was already correct. Then i did not extract the needed platform (RHEL) file from the "NB_CLT_7.1.0.4.tar" as before. So i put the complete file (3GB) with the maintanance relaese file "NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar" together in a directory, extracted only "NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar" and run NB_update.install script.

I don´t know why but then i was able to do a bprecover !

thanks

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is the exact NBU version on the Solaris server?

You should only perform catalog recovery when NBU on the new server is at the exact same version of the existing master server.

See this TN:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041077

Marianne

thanks Marianne,

first of all sorry for this post. It was from a colleague and i was not aware. so we are talking about the same issue :)

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Different-Problem-while-Upgrade-to-8-0-from-7-1-04/m-p/837605

He will close this one. Sorry again for confusion...

The solaris version is 7.1.0.4 and i know that a catalog restore should be done on the new server with same version. But unfortunately we cannot upgrade from 7.1 to 7.1.0.4. Somehow the maintanance upgrade breaks the system.

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

I would recommend to bring the original server upto NBU 7.7.3 then move for migration and then NBU 8.0.

Regards

Marianne

I agree with @Tousif - rather upgrade the Solaris server, then migrate.

Patching in early 7.x versions is really messy.
You need to download  NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar (if Redhat) as well as the 2 split-files for the client software, verify checksum, then join the split-files, then verify checksum, and then extract both server and client patch in the same folder before patch installion.

None of that in 7.7.x or 8.0 upgrade.

yes i did exacly that. i have

VrtsNB_CLT_7.1.0.4.Linux.tar.gz which is a part of NB_CLT_7.1.0.4.tar and  NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar. So the updrage was runnig really without any issues or errors. But getting this error when trying to recover

./bprecover: symbol lookup error: /usr/openv/lib/libVdb.so: undefined symbol: db_OpenImgWithLockByPathNb

So you suggest to upgrade the original 7.1.04 solaris server first?. I hope we do not need any solaris patches here Smiley Indifferent

Genericus
   VIP   

I cannot speak about 7.7, but I have upgraded to 7.6 and it went very smoothly. no issues at all.

I was able to upgrade to 8.0 from there as well, again, no issues.

We DO apply quarterly OS patches, so our systems are pretty up to date. 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Why I recommended to upgrade the original server.

Disadvantages:

1) To migrate the server on NBU version 7.1 will not get support because of EOSL.

2) I can not recommend to upgrade the NBU 7,1 to 8.0. Because there are many major changes has done in between releases. e.g 7.5, 7.6.0.1, 7.6.1, 7.7.x & 8.0. To upgrade server to 8.0 may causes multiple failure.

Advantages:

3) The Veritas will help you to upgrade the NBU to 7.7.3 or 8.0 with correct guidance.

4) Also you will get support on hardware/OS change.

If you still want to migrate the server on NBU 7.1 then you need to contact consulting team for assistance.

Regards,

Hi Marianne,

I have closed the other post to get all responses in one place, here. We did md5sum on only the joined file which matched the website checksum of Veritas. Not sure if there is checksum for the split files somewhere to check that also but since the joining checksum matched so we were sure nothing got coruupted while downloading the software patches.

If I understand Marianne correctly "None of that in 7.7.x or 8.0 upgrade." that 7.7 version is easier not messy like 7.X earlier versions.

Do we need a separate license for 7.7 upgrade on the Physical Solaris 10 server or on the VM, not sure about this.

Thanks,

Galeb

Kai,

as far upgrading the orignal master server to 7.7 like Marianne said we need Solaris 10 update 11 as per sort.veritas.com (service operations readiness tools). For NetBAckup 8.0 Solaris 10 U 11 or later is required.

Thanks

Marianne

> "So you suggest to upgrade the original 7.1.04 solaris server first?"

You never told us the exact NBU version on the Solaris server.
If Solaris server is on 7.1, then you should do bprecover on Linux directly after 7.1 installation.
There will be no need to install 7.1.0.4.
As per previous posts - you can only recover catalogs when new server is on exactly the same version as original server.

I cannot comment on your licenses - Solaris server license is different to Linux server license.

Check your license certificate and verify that you have active maintenance.

With active maintenance upgrade is free.
This means that you can upgrade NBU on the Solaris server, then migrate.

Do not forget to check and verify compatibility lists.

sorry all for the delay but was not able to answer before.

I fixed the issue. Downloaded the software again despite the checksum was already correct. Then i did not extract the needed platform (RHEL) file from the "NB_CLT_7.1.0.4.tar" as before. So i put the complete file (3GB) with the maintanance relaese file "NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar" together in a directory, extracted only "NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar" and run NB_update.install script.

I don´t know why but then i was able to do a bprecover !

thanks