cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NBU from 8.0 to 8.3.x

darkbishop
Level 3

Hi All,

im in the mist of planning to upgrade my NBU from 8.0 to 8.3.x, but i would like to know if i need additional or new license to perform this upgrade or i can just perform the upgrade.

i also would like to know if its possible to export all the license out before upgrade so that if anything happen and i need to rebuild, the license part will be cover. 

what folder do i need to copy out to simplified my rebuild ( if needed ) . 

Thanks for the respond and help 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @darkbishop 

You do not require new licenses and your existing licenses will continue to operate with the new version. What you may miss out on is the ability to use new features that have been introduced since 8.0. 

If you are entitled to download the 8.3.x update, then you should equally be entitled to obtain new 8.3 licenses (with all the relevant features - new and old - enabled). 

To extract a copy of the existing licenses for safety, use the "bpminlicense" command with no arguments - it will list all licenses the server has had installed.

Given you say you are running on Windows 2008 - which is not supported by Microsoft anymore (there may be some exceptions) - what I would suggest you do instead of an upgrade is to build a new server (with the same hostname) install NetBackup 8.3.x onto that and then perform a catalog backup from the old server and recover this onto the new server. One advantage of this is you have the original server untouched availble for rollback. 

You will find many articles describing the above process - for instance from Veritas: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022623

Good luck
David

View solution in original post

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I agree with davidmoline but I do not thing that you can restore an 8.0 catalog to 8.3.
In order to change the server to a new one, you have to read the OS compatibility lists and

• do a netbackup catalog backup of 8.0 installation
  • install an OS compatible with 8.0 and 8.3 to the new server
  • install netbackup 8.0 and perform a catalog restore
  • Let it run for a few days.
  • upgrade netbackup to 8.3

check if you have KMS configured on the master server, KMS is not a part of netbackup catalog

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

I think you will need json file Smart Meter - I think @davidmoline  forgot to mention that.

My advise is to visit sort.veritas.com to check for Installation and Upgrade Checklist - from where I did pull off the below:

"NetBackup 8.1.2 enables a cloud-based application Smart Meter that provides real-time and accurate capacity usage categorized by workload. This new capability allows customers to proactively manage capacity and stay in compliance, and gives Veritas and its partners visibility into customer usage, which enables true-up conversations on an ongoing basis. NetBackup 8.1.2+ requires a Smart Meter registration key on each master server. You must obtain these keys and have them available during the installation or upgrade of your master server. See "Enable Veritas Smart Meter" topic of Veritas Smart Meter Getting Started Guide for details. To download these keys and learn more about Smart Meter, visit Veritas Smart Meter."

4 REPLIES 4

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @darkbishop 

You do not require new licenses and your existing licenses will continue to operate with the new version. What you may miss out on is the ability to use new features that have been introduced since 8.0. 

If you are entitled to download the 8.3.x update, then you should equally be entitled to obtain new 8.3 licenses (with all the relevant features - new and old - enabled). 

To extract a copy of the existing licenses for safety, use the "bpminlicense" command with no arguments - it will list all licenses the server has had installed.

Given you say you are running on Windows 2008 - which is not supported by Microsoft anymore (there may be some exceptions) - what I would suggest you do instead of an upgrade is to build a new server (with the same hostname) install NetBackup 8.3.x onto that and then perform a catalog backup from the old server and recover this onto the new server. One advantage of this is you have the original server untouched availble for rollback. 

You will find many articles describing the above process - for instance from Veritas: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022623

Good luck
David

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I agree with davidmoline but I do not thing that you can restore an 8.0 catalog to 8.3.
In order to change the server to a new one, you have to read the OS compatibility lists and

• do a netbackup catalog backup of 8.0 installation
  • install an OS compatible with 8.0 and 8.3 to the new server
  • install netbackup 8.0 and perform a catalog restore
  • Let it run for a few days.
  • upgrade netbackup to 8.3

check if you have KMS configured on the master server, KMS is not a part of netbackup catalog

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

I think you will need json file Smart Meter - I think @davidmoline  forgot to mention that.

My advise is to visit sort.veritas.com to check for Installation and Upgrade Checklist - from where I did pull off the below:

"NetBackup 8.1.2 enables a cloud-based application Smart Meter that provides real-time and accurate capacity usage categorized by workload. This new capability allows customers to proactively manage capacity and stay in compliance, and gives Veritas and its partners visibility into customer usage, which enables true-up conversations on an ongoing basis. NetBackup 8.1.2+ requires a Smart Meter registration key on each master server. You must obtain these keys and have them available during the installation or upgrade of your master server. See "Enable Veritas Smart Meter" topic of Veritas Smart Meter Getting Started Guide for details. To download these keys and learn more about Smart Meter, visit Veritas Smart Meter."

Hi @darkbishop 

Both @StefanosM and @quebek raise very good points that I missed. So thanks guys.

A catalog recovery can only be done (by you) to the same NetBackup version. Windows 2016 would be a good new master server version.

To upgrade beyond 8.1.x you will need the smart meter file (veritas_customer_registration_file.json) - the details of where to get this are in the upgrade guide (or install guide) for 8.3.x

Its late Friday for me - so apologies for the misses. Luckily there is a good community to help catch these oversights. 

Cheers
David