cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Question

fordpony65
Level 3

Hi

I am going to be upgrading many workstations in my enviorment soon.  Quick question when upgrading the client from 6.5.5 to 7.1.0.3 does the 6.5.5 client have to be removed then the 7.1.0.3 client installed fresh?  Or will it upgrade directly from 6.5.5?

Any thoughts appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

does the 6.5.5 client have to be removed then the 7.1.0.3 client installed fresh?  Or will it upgrade directly from 6.5.5?

No need to uninstall and reinstall. Upgrade will be done when you try to install 7.1 client.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

does the 6.5.5 client have to be removed then the 7.1.0.3 client installed fresh?  Or will it upgrade directly from 6.5.5?

No need to uninstall and reinstall. Upgrade will be done when you try to install 7.1 client.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are Kiran says there is no need to uninstall and re-install as it will do an upgrade.

There are some things to double check first though:

It is always worth checking the clients exclude list (export HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\ as this is held in the exclude key) in case these are lost during the upgrade and patch

Also check the service account being used as the upgrade can sometimes set the account back to use the System one

Finally check for any scripts being used (such as bpstart_notify etc.) in case they are replaced during the upgrade

Most things are kept but I have had the odd experience where they are not and a patch to 7.0.1 caught me out yesterday when it reset the client account (which really shouldnt happen!)

Hope this helps

fordpony65
Level 3

Thanks so much for the tips! :0)

W007
Level 5

It's a great information. We also going to upgrade the server. It will helpfull on that time.