cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1

Annalise_Famigl
Level 2
I'm getting ready to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1, this will be the first upgrade we've done with this product. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, things to watch out for, or knows of any information that I could review before I begin.
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
It's always best practice to review the "Release Notes", Compatability and the README files of all available maintenance patches. Your the one thats gonna have to answer to the powers that be if something doesn't work after the upgrade. So it would behoove you to check out the docs. Besides no one else knows your specific environment as well as you do. You may have something that someone who says "It's OK, " does not have. Here is a link that will get you to all of the good stuff:

http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_NBUESVR.htm

Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

OH...one more thing. Check the Software Alerts on the link above. That is where people that discovered gothchas called into VERITAS and reported the problems that they experienced. Good luck!Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Stumpr2
Level 6
You can change the statement about...

"README files of all available maintenance patches...."

The patches are cumulative so you will only need to read the highest number MP README file.

Annalise_Famigl
Level 2
Thanks Bob, I have those and have looked through them already. I was mainly curious if anyone had anything to add from personal experience in terms of unexpected issues that weren't mentioned in the documentation.

Paul_Keating
Level 2
What kind of testing do you folks do before deploying a path, or upgrade?

do you test backups, restores and DRs with all apps/os's with the new version on the server, combined with the new and old versions on the client side, in every combination?

Do you keep clients at the same revision as the server?
(scheduled roll out of upgrade to all clients)

Paul