cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 5.1 to 7.0 on different host & OS

jim_buitt
Not applicable

We currently have a v5.1 NBU system that we're wanting to migrate.  We know we cannot upgrade directly from 5.1 to 7.0, and that we must upgrade to 6.5 first. Too add to the complexity we'd also like to:

1. Install v7.0 of NBU on a host different from our current NBU master system, and

2. Migrate the catalog to the new NBU master host with running Linux.

We would like to be able to do this in a way that would minimize down time of our current NBU master system since we have enterprise-critical backups that run on a frequent basis.  Would what we're wanting to do be possible without having to upgrade the existing NBU host, causing lengthy downtime?  Also, since we plan on moving our main backup host to another system, is there some kind of host transfer process that we need to perform?   We realize that all this may be outside the scope of NBU's features, but I'm open to suggestions. 

Perhaps we could copy the catalog to another system running 5.1, upgrade that system to 6.5 then 7.0 and then import the 7.0 catalog into the new system?

Thanks,
Jim

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Douglas_Snyder
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Jim,

First I would log a ticket before doing anything.  Moving from NBU 5.X to 6.X is a much more complicated procedure than moving from 6.X to 7.X because so much changed in the catalog layout and DB.  I would suggest moving to 6.5.X on the same host name and type first.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52785

Then you can tackle the move to a different host type. Support may be able to offer assistance and I strongly encourage you to log a ticket before attempting anything.

Migration from 6.5.X to 7.X

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74584

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Just how long is your longest retention?

Do you have a new robot, or are you going to use the same one.

If it was me, I would create the new master and all my policies.  See what I could do to add the library to it (if you lib all owes virtual library's, I would split it in two, for the old one and the new one).

Then I would start moving the clients from the old master to the new master. (upgrading the clients as you move them)

If you keep the old master name in the clients 'additional servers' list the old master can still do restores.

Once you have all clients moved to new master (adjusting the number of tape drives in the robot so the new master has all but 1 drive) Then you just keep the old master around until the images on the old master have expired.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

Are both the current and proposed master running Linux or is the current master running something else?

If the current platform is also Linux, then a multi-step upgrade can certainly be done with hopefully acceptable downtimes.

What you are currently running is officially unsupported so you may have to pay for Professional Services to help with the migrations.  In the future, for enterprise-critical backups, you should attempt to keep to a supported release...

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with J, 5.1 > 7.0 is a huge undertaking, and adding a catalog migration on top of that is going be a lot of work. If at all possible, do a fresh install of NBU 7.0.1, then start migrating your clients to the new system.

This does however depend on your retention as stated above.

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

From what I read, and with the critical nature of enterprise systems, I can only but recommend that you contact a SYMC partner in your region to assess the upgrade. Yes, it is expensive, but look at what is at stake. If you can live without a backup system, well then, it is not enterprise level... 

If you are running on 5.x, you may not be able to upgrade to 6.5 if the OS is too old. You may face the dreaded 5.x->6.0->6.5/7.0 upgrade path and going through multiple OS releases.

Once on 6.x, there are ways of cutting corners, but all has to be reviewed and ultimately "approved" my SYMC, else you are on your own.

If no historical tape usage tracking or long-term at rest backups exists, you would be better off with just going for a completely new 7.x install, and manually moving your policies and clients.

/A

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1.) Upgrade your 5.1 to version 7.

2.) Take catalog backup and also make sure that you have DR file as well.

3.) Down the Netbackup Server 5.1.

4.) Restore the Catalog on a new machine where you have already installed the Netbackup Server7or 6.5.x(with same Hostname and same IP) and attached the Tape library and configure it.(Make sure that all policies are deactivated till you cant successful connecting the Tape Library).

5.) Update single Netbackup Client of machine/Server  and Activate this Server policy and check that Backup is starting without any problem thn start updating one by one Netbackup Client and check that the backup is starting and going till Begin Writing. to make sure that your migration is going successful.

Marianne

This is NOT POSSIBLE:

"1.) Upgrade your 5.1 to version 7."

Zahid_Haseeb

Is that not possible to upgrade 5.x to 7 ? .. like first upgrade from 5.x to version 6  and thn from version 6 to 7 ?

I seen a guide in which 4.5 can be upgraded to 6.5 (thn go 6.5 to 7) but You cannot upgrade your master or media servers directly from NetBackup 4.5 to 6.5. You must first upgrade to a recommended NetBackup 5.x

Guide link

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52753

RiaanBadenhorst

Zahid you're also missing the point that there is going to be a migration to a new O/S. Symantec Consulting Partner is required to do this.

Marianne

I do understand that you mean well, but PLEASE be very careful when you post step-by-step instructions - double-check that your facts are correct.

"upgrade 5.x to 7"  is not the same as "first upgrade from 5.x to version 6  and then from version 6 to 7"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74584

2.    Important information for customers upgrading to NetBackup 7.0 from NetBackup 5.x. Whilst it is possible to upgrade to NetBackup 7.0 directly from any NetBackup 6.x environment, it is not possible to upgrade directly from NetBackup 5.x. The required upgrade path from 5.x is to first upgrade the entire NetBackup environment (Master, Media servers and all clients) to NetBackup 6.5GA.

Zahid_Haseeb

Agreed