cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 7.6.1.2 to 8.0 questions / help

pmc214
Level 5

(Forgive my limited understanding of netbackup) myself in the preliminary steps of upgrading from 7.6.1.2 to 8.0. I am reading the upgrade document, have come across a few things im not understanding.

Refenceing Veritas Netbackup Upgrade Guide Release 8.0, pg.48, Table 3.1 from section Master Server upgrade. https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/ka6j00000000AJ2AAM

Do these things apply to me since i am on 7.6.1.2 ?

Exerpts from - pg.48, Table 3-1

Step 12 - Upgrade the NetBackup binaries

Step 14 - (Conditional) If your environment is pre-NetBackup 7.6, and you want to use the guided method of migration because the environment has a large image catalog

Step 16 - If your upgrade is from pre-NetBackup 7.6, to start phase 2 of the image metadata migration or to finish the process started in step 12

Step 17 - If your upgrade is from a pre-NetBackup 7.5 version, wait for both phase 1 and phase 2 migrations to complete. For upgrades from NetBackup 7.5.x.x, wait for phase 2 to complete. For upgrades from NetBackup 7.6.0.x, both phases were completed previously. You can verify the migration with the procedure shown in this step.

Sorry, this reads confusing to me. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@pmc214

It is totally awesome that you are taking the time to read through the documentation.

Once you have confirmed that all pre-reqs are in place, then please go ahead and shedule the upgrade. When you start with the installation, you may want to select Select Preinstallation, click Run the preinstallation Environment Checker. If successful, click Installation.

• On the Installation screen, click Server Software Installation.
  • Accept License Agreement.
  • Enter License Key
  • On the NetBackup Web Services screen, specify the account type and the account details (specify user account that was created as per the pre-requisites).
  • Accept default port numbers
  • Specify account to be used for NetBackup Services (default is Local System Account)
  • On the NetBackup System Names screen, verify that existing server names are displayed.
  • On the Ready to Install the Program screen, review the Installation Summary that shows your selections from the previous steps.
  • Click Install to start the installation.

I assisted an end-user 2 weeks ago with upgrade from 7..5.0.6 to 8.0. 
It was completely painless and took less than 30 minutes.

Just be aware that the Windows Console was discontinued as from 7.7.x. 
the Java Console takes time to get used to if you have only used the Windows console up to now. 

*** EDIT ***

Remember to take a full catalog backup before you start with upgrade.
The only delay in the upgrade of 2 weeks ago was the 3-hour full catalog backup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi pmc214,

Step 12 DOES apply.  This applies to all NetBackup upgrades.  Upgrading the NetBackup binaries (or executables) simply means installing the new version of the software (which will upgrade the existing NetBackup binaries).

Steps 14 and 16 DO NOT apply, as your current installation is not PRE 7.6.  It is POST 7.6 (7.6.1.2).

Step 17 DOES NOT apply, as your current installation is not PRE 7.5.  It is POST 7.5 (7.6.1.2).

Hope this helps,

Steve

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@pmc214

It is totally awesome that you are taking the time to read through the documentation.

Once you have confirmed that all pre-reqs are in place, then please go ahead and shedule the upgrade. When you start with the installation, you may want to select Select Preinstallation, click Run the preinstallation Environment Checker. If successful, click Installation.

• On the Installation screen, click Server Software Installation.
  • Accept License Agreement.
  • Enter License Key
  • On the NetBackup Web Services screen, specify the account type and the account details (specify user account that was created as per the pre-requisites).
  • Accept default port numbers
  • Specify account to be used for NetBackup Services (default is Local System Account)
  • On the NetBackup System Names screen, verify that existing server names are displayed.
  • On the Ready to Install the Program screen, review the Installation Summary that shows your selections from the previous steps.
  • Click Install to start the installation.

I assisted an end-user 2 weeks ago with upgrade from 7..5.0.6 to 8.0. 
It was completely painless and took less than 30 minutes.

Just be aware that the Windows Console was discontinued as from 7.7.x. 
the Java Console takes time to get used to if you have only used the Windows console up to now. 

*** EDIT ***

Remember to take a full catalog backup before you start with upgrade.
The only delay in the upgrade of 2 weeks ago was the 3-hour full catalog backup.

Thats great news, thank you Marianne!