Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 8.1.1 to 9.0

Dav1234
Level 5

Hello,

Master server OS: Solaris 11 with T8 Series

Master server NBU version: 8.1.1

Six appliances act as a media server (Model 5330 and 5340) : NBU version 3.1.1

We are planning to upgarde to 9.0. There are few things which i need to confirm before upgrade

1. Can we upgrade directly from 8.1.1 to 9.0 ?

2. What would be the pre-requisites to perform upgrade for both master and media server?

3. Please share HCL and SCL for master server and clients?

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi

I'd first be downloading the NetBackup 9.0 Upgrade Guide (and the rest of the documentation as required). I would then be looking at SORT to look at the various checklists and and notes on the upgrade path (https://sort.veritas.com/checklist/install). 

1. Yes you can upgrade directly from 8.1.1 to 9.0

2. There is no equivalent NetBackup appliance version yet to upgrade an appliance to an equivalent NetBackup version (I would assume the new version for the appliance will be 4.0), so the best you could upgrade your media server appliances is to 3.3.0.1. Note that NetBackup 3.1.1 is supported on appliances with a master server at NetBackup 9.0. All prequisites for the upgrade will be found in the upgrade guide and the SORT checklists - do some reading.

3. As NetBackup 9.0 was only released on Jan 1, the compatibility lists will most likely be updated and released this week (or very soon anyway) - check the master compatibility list over the next few days.

Basic rules for the upgrade order will not have changed:

1. Upgrade OpsCenter server first
  2. Upgrae master server
  3. Upgrade media servers/appliances
  4. Upgrade clients

I do note there is a new registration key required for the upgrade (NetBackup 9.0 requires a Usage Insights customer registration key). This is similar to and replaces the veritas_customer_registration_key.json required previously.

Good luck - someone has to go first

Hello,

Have gone through upgrade guide and SORT portal.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/125240132-143211944-0/v85637145-143211944

currently we are running on netbackup 8.1.1 on solaris 10 sparc. 

OS team will build new hardware with Solaris 11 . Post build we will perform migration from old OS to new OS.

we will install netbackup 8.1.1 on new hardware and then perfom DR.

--> while performing DR we need passphrase. plaese guide me how to check the passphrase details?

after migration we will perform netbackup version upgrade from 8.1.1 to 9.0.

-->Is web service account for NetBackup is required to perform upgrade? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details.

--> Is Netbackup security certificates to authenticate NetBackup hosts for secure communication is required to perform upgrade successfully? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details.

-->after media server (appliance) upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.3.0.1  is MSDP rolling conversion will start automatically??

NetBackup 9.0 and later versions support the expiration dates that extend beyond the year 2038. Is image expiration will extend automatically after upgrade to 9.0?

I can answer some of your queries:

1. --> while performing DR we need passphrase. plaese guide me how to check the passphrase details? The passphrase is set for the catalog backup. If you don't know the current passphrase (this is a problem for you if you need to recover now) you can change this in the admin console "Security Management -> Global Security Settings" under the Disaster Recovery tab - set a new passphrase and run a new catalog backup. You can also test the passphrase using the nbhostidentity command:
    nbhostidentity -testpassphrase -infile <DRFile.drpkk>
    You will be prompted for the passphrase and told whether successful or not.
  2. Is web service account for NetBackup is required to perform upgrade? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details. Yes it is - you will not be able to install NetBackup on the new machine without this account setup. As you will be performing a DR recovery you will also need to match the UID and GID of the web service account on the new master server.
  3. Is Netbackup security certificates to authenticate NetBackup hosts for secure communication is required to perform upgrade successfully? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details. Yes most certainly you will need the existing certificates to continue to operate successfully. This is taken care of as part of the DR recovery process (importing the certificate store onto the master server - and why you need to passphrase to perform the recovery). 
  4. after media server (appliance) upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.3.0.1  is MSDP rolling conversion will start automatically?? I'm not sure there is any signficiant update to MSDP going from 3.1.1 to 3.3.0.1 (the fingerprint conversion has already been done). That said, any additional changes would be performed automatically unless there are notes in the upgrade guides to indicate something different is required.
  5. Is image expiration will extend automatically after upgrade to 9.0? I do not believe that existing image retention are changed once you upgrade. I understand there may be some pre-install checks that reports on what may be required as part of this change. 

Hope this helps. 

Hello,

1. Is web service account for NetBackup is required to perform upgrade? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details. Yes it is - you will not be able to install NetBackup on the new machine without this account setup. As you will be performing a DR recovery you will also need to match the UID and GID of the web service account on the new master server.: It means, same UID and GID is required (which was set during installation of existing box) while performing new installation on new box and during DR too?
  2. Is Netbackup security certificates to authenticate NetBackup hosts for secure communication is required to perform upgrade successfully? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details. Yes most certainly you will need the existing certificates to continue to operate successfully. This is taken care of as part of the DR recovery process (importing the certificate store onto the master server - and why you need to passphrase to perform the recovery). : Are certificates will import automatically during nbu installation on new hardware? If not, How we import certificate store on to master server?so that upgrade will go smoothely. I think PASSPHRASE is required to perform the Catalog recovery? isn't it?
  3. nbhostidentity -testpassphrase -infile <DRFile.drpkk> : I think, it will not show you the current set passphrase. It just test the passphrase?right. is there any option to check the existing passphrase if someone is forgotten? 

1. When you setup the new system to install NetBackup as a pre-step create the web servvice account using the same UID/GID as is currently in use on the current master server. During DR, this will ensure everything works properly. 
  2. Part of the DR process will import the certificates from the current master server (and will replace any exsiting ceritifcates created during the install). So for the new master, install NetBackup using the DR process - this will require the passphrase -- you will need to provide the DR package file path. 
  3. Correct - the command does not show the password it merely tests the passowrk you providce and iondicates if it correct or not. There is no option to recover a lost passphrase. If this is the case, set a new passphrase and run a catalog backup, which will create a new DR package using the new password.