Master server OS: Solaris 11 with T8 Series
Master server NBU version: 8.1.1
Six appliances act as a media server (Model 5330 and 5340) : NBU version 3.1.1
We are planning to upgarde to 9.0. There are few things which i need to confirm before upgrade
1. Can we upgrade directly from 8.1.1 to 9.0 ?
2. What would be the pre-requisites to perform upgrade for both master and media server?
3. Please share HCL and SCL for master server and clients?
I'd first be downloading the NetBackup 9.0 Upgrade Guide (and the rest of the documentation as required). I would then be looking at SORT to look at the various checklists and and notes on the upgrade path (https://sort.veritas.com/checklist/install).
1. Yes you can upgrade directly from 8.1.1 to 9.0
2. There is no equivalent NetBackup appliance version yet to upgrade an appliance to an equivalent NetBackup version (I would assume the new version for the appliance will be 4.0), so the best you could upgrade your media server appliances is to 184.108.40.206. Note that NetBackup 3.1.1 is supported on appliances with a master server at NetBackup 9.0. All prequisites for the upgrade will be found in the upgrade guide and the SORT checklists - do some reading.
3. As NetBackup 9.0 was only released on Jan 1, the compatibility lists will most likely be updated and released this week (or very soon anyway) - check the master compatibility list over the next few days.
Basic rules for the upgrade order will not have changed:
I do note there is a new registration key required for the upgrade (NetBackup 9.0 requires a Usage Insights customer registration key). This is similar to and replaces the veritas_customer_registration_key.json required previously.
Good luck - someone has to go first
Have gone through upgrade guide and SORT portal.
currently we are running on netbackup 8.1.1 on solaris 10 sparc.
OS team will build new hardware with Solaris 11 . Post build we will perform migration from old OS to new OS.
we will install netbackup 8.1.1 on new hardware and then perfom DR.
--> while performing DR we need passphrase. plaese guide me how to check the passphrase details?
after migration we will perform netbackup version upgrade from 8.1.1 to 9.0.
-->Is web service account for NetBackup is required to perform upgrade? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details.
--> Is Netbackup security certificates to authenticate NetBackup hosts for secure communication is required to perform upgrade successfully? If yes, request you to please let me know how to get these details.
-->after media server (appliance) upgrade from 3.1.1 to 220.127.116.11 is MSDP rolling conversion will start automatically??
NetBackup 9.0 and later versions support the expiration dates that extend beyond the year 2038. Is image expiration will extend automatically after upgrade to 9.0?
I can answer some of your queries:
Hope this helps.