cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from NBU 5.1MP3 to NBU 6 - How successful where you?

Vince_Corona
Level 4
How did your upgrade ot NBU6 go? Now that MP1 is out for 6, I'd like to upgrade. However, I'd like to to hear any horror or success stories. Are you aware of any best practices to perform the upgrade. We have 1 master server and 3 media servers, should we wait for the weekend to do the upgrade, or take advantage of better NBU support during the weekday / working hours? How long did your upgrade go? Thanks to anyone that replies.
3 REPLIES 3

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
maybe help http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=57809&tstart=0

Mike_Welch
Level 2
I went from NGU 5.1MP2 to NBU 6MP1 and it's been rough but mostly because of my own doing. I didn't do a nbuppushdata immediately after the upgrade of my single masterserver then because I didn't read the directions I tried to manually add back my drives.

Still, not all of my problems are of my own doing. The EMM database seems to be flaky and drops connection even though its all on the masterserver.

My Novell Servers (4.5) wouldn't work and now I'm having to back them up on a spare server running 5.1 until they disappear sometime this year.

Most of my servers are still on 5.1 and one server has REFUSED to install 6.0.

Jobs do not time out and block other jobs this happens sporadically but happened once in a blue moon on 5.1.

My Annuals failed to back up anything but the system state this weekend.

brad_johnson_2
Level 3
We made the mistake of upgrading before MP1 was released. Needless to say we had some major issues with being able to do our Catalogs. It would create a cleanup.lock file which would need to be deleted before the Catalog to run. But first you had to stop the Services in order to delete the file. We had to wait for a week and a half before MP1 was released to resolve the Catalog issue.
We also had issues with the upgrade on our Media Server. The upgrade somehow created duplicate entries in the tape library which caused Vault to crash every time it ran. Once all the duplicate entries were deleted Vault ran successful. There were no duplicates before the upgrade so all I can figure is that the library was corrupted during the install.

I did notice today that not all of the jobs were kicked off on some of our policies. I never had this problem before with 5.1 MP3 so I don't know if this is a problem with 6.0 or not. I have one Windows Policy with 10 servers in the policy. It backed up 5 of them and never started the other 5. The policy had plenty of time to start the other backup jobs. This also happened on our Media Server. I'll reboot the Master Server and see if it happens again.