cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Netbackup 7.0.1 to 7.5.0.1

Glen_Harrison
Level 4

I am planning for my upgrade and would like some clarification on the "image metadata migration"

1) does this happen automatically afte netbackup starts for the first time?

2) my plan was to install 7.5.0.1 immediately after upgrading to 7.5 do I have watch out for the "image metadat processes" prior to the 7.5.0.1 upgrade? Will the migration resume after bringing up 7.5.0.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have to disagree a bit with my esteemed colleague who snuck in a response while I was writing mine :)

1. You've got it right - image migration starts when NetBackup does, so

2. If you're going to install 7.5.0.1 immediately after upgrade - and we now recommend you do! - DO NOT START NETBACKUP AFTER THE 7.5 UPGRADE.  We'll ask, but you should say "NO!"

Do you want to start the NetBackup job-related daemons so
backups and restores can be initiated? n

NetBackup will automatically start after 7.5.0.1 installation is complete so the migration will also begin then.

I mentioned this somewhere else, so I'll mention it here too.  Be aware that if you have a "catarc" policy, there is a known issue regarding migration of archived catalog images:

Archived catalog images are not migrated correctly to NetBackup 7.5
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH188991

Most people are NOT running this kind of policy, but if you are, reading this TechNote will save you potential future headaches.

More info on this migration is available in the 7.5 Upgrade Guide:

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Upgrade Guide
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5198

"The image metadata migration begins after NetBackup 7.5 has started." (page 11)

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes I believe as soon as NetBackup starts at 7.5 it imports the Image metadata into EMM.

I suggest, waiting before doing the 7.5.0.1 upgrade if you can. I think it will resume, but I'd wait just for my own peace of mine.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have to disagree a bit with my esteemed colleague who snuck in a response while I was writing mine :)

1. You've got it right - image migration starts when NetBackup does, so

2. If you're going to install 7.5.0.1 immediately after upgrade - and we now recommend you do! - DO NOT START NETBACKUP AFTER THE 7.5 UPGRADE.  We'll ask, but you should say "NO!"

Do you want to start the NetBackup job-related daemons so
backups and restores can be initiated? n

NetBackup will automatically start after 7.5.0.1 installation is complete so the migration will also begin then.

I mentioned this somewhere else, so I'll mention it here too.  Be aware that if you have a "catarc" policy, there is a known issue regarding migration of archived catalog images:

Archived catalog images are not migrated correctly to NetBackup 7.5
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH188991

Most people are NOT running this kind of policy, but if you are, reading this TechNote will save you potential future headaches.

More info on this migration is available in the 7.5 Upgrade Guide:

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Upgrade Guide
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5198

"The image metadata migration begins after NetBackup 7.5 has started." (page 11)

Good luck!

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

CRZ, no issues with disagreeing.

I always like to know if an upgrade to a major version has worked, hence why I (personally) would want 7.5 to run for a little bit before going to 7.5.0.1, means I do not have to revert 2 steps back if I see an issue after upgrading, but that's just my view. Yours is equally correct, and would be more beneficial to a NetBackup "user" if they have a small window on which to upgrade. :)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I agree with CZ - in the back of my mind I think there is some issue with importing the images to the DB at 7.5, hence the requirement for the patch and NOT starting NBU.

Also, check the 7.5 Upgrade Guide, as there are two methods of migrating the image, 'simple method' and 'guided method', depending on how many images there are.

Also, I'd recommend running bpdbm -consistency 2 before the upgrade to 7.5

Martin