Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 6.5 ---- SSO concerns

rilwan_dawodu
Level 4
Certified

Hi all,

my backup servers are on NBU 5.1 MP7, we want to upgrade our env from 5.1 to 6.5.

The upgrade is planned for the master first, then after a week we do the media server

My concern is that, will there be any issue regarding the way the drives will be seen by the master and the media since they are on different versions and have different SSO licens keys?

regards,

5 REPLIES 5

schmaustech
Level 5

I do not believe there will be an issue with SSO interaction if your master is upgraded and your media server is left at 5.1 MP7.

However I would recommend you upgrade both at the same time.  The upgrade process is very easy.  We have a SSO environment with 7 media servers, once being the master as well and I was able to get the upgrade completed in less then 8 hours.

The key to success here is making sure you have a clean catalog and your name resolution is functioning correctly.  If you run the NBCC utility and get the inconsistencies corrected, you should have no issues at all.

Also become familiar with the steps you need to take during the upgrade process.  I used the following technote as a guide:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290141.htm

However since it contains information for a lot of different configurations, I drew up a seperate step by step list for my environment.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

wnatale
Not applicable

We just went through the exact same upgrade (5.1 MP7 -> 6.5.3) with 6 SSO media servers.  Absolutely no issues with a phased upgrade; the master server was upgraded first and ran that way for a weekend before any media servers were touched.

Be sure to follow the guide that Benjamin linked, it has a few extra steps for keeping 5.1 SSO servers working in a 6.5 environment, especially Appendix A, Phased Upgrade:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290141.htm

Good luck!

rilwan_dawodu
Level 4
Certified

Thanks for the response

I tried to open the link but it appears that the doc is no longer available. Can you help with the content. I need to compare with the doc I have

schmaustech
Level 5

Link just worked for me.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

Also check upgrade guide P.8.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check to see if the Shared Storage Option (SSO) will be used for drive sharing

between NetBackup 6.x and NetBackup 5.x media servers. It is important to note

that in NetBackup 6.x, the EMM server is responsible for granting a SSO resource.

In NetBackup 5.x, the media server itself is responsible for SSO tape drive selection.

This can lead to slower drive selection performance in larger environments.

Refer to “Phased upgrade” on page 19 and TechNote 282271.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------