cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading AIX/Solaris NB clients 7.0 to 7.5

BharadwajR
Level 3

Hi ,

We have successfully upgraded our DR master server from 7.0.1 to 7.5.0.7 .

For windows clients, we have successfully upgraded with full installer package 7.5.0.6. 

For UNIX clients, we are facing problem.

I haven't found full installer package 7.5.0.x for UNIX clients unlike windows.

I have downloaded "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS" from fileconnect.

But unlike Netbackup_7.0 Clients package, after untar,i haven't found seperate softwares for aix,solaris,linux etc. in 7.5 Client package.

Please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SujayDesai
Level 3
Employee

Hi Bharadwaj,

Kindly follow below steps for downloading Unix client packages:-

1. Download all similarly prefixed image files, for example, "_tar-gz.1of2" and 
   "_tar-gz.2of2". 

2. Run the appropriate command to join the .tar.gz files together: 

- On UNIX systems: 
     cat "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.1of3" "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.2of3"  "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.3of3" > "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz" 

- On Windows systems: 
     copy /b "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.1of3"+"NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.2of3"+"NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.3of3" "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz" 

3. Use an md5sum command to ensure that your number matches the below provided
   value. 

md5sum  NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz =  24844689e219d3c467e884fb5737101b 

NOTE: You can download the MD5sum utilities from many sites, choose one that
   you trust. 

4. After you have successfully joined the files, you are ready to uncompress the 
   packages.

5. Once uncompressed then proceed to installation by running "./install" under NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS directory and Netbackup will automatically detect the client OS and install accordingly(This is only for Unix/Linux clients).

6. Once Netbackup 7.5 installation of client is successful proceed for applying patch 7.5.0.7

Below is the link to download patch 7.5.0.7 and follow the stpes recommended in technote:-

www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209037     

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Unless you have a Unix or Linux Master server to push-install the client software, the answer is an unfortunate YES. Another option is to NFS share the extracted software on a server or client with sufficient space and the mount the share on the clients.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

watsons
Level 6

OK, for NB7.5 Unix base installer, you have the correct package which is "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS" (iso or tar.gz)

If you get it right, you will see the following inside:

\NBClients\anb\Clients\usr\openv\netbackup\client\*    (available for RS6000, Solaris, Linux, Linux-IA64 etc.)

For 7.5.0.x patch, you will have to find it in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65429  (look for 7.5.0.x and click the patch version you need)

Take 7.5.0.7 for instance, you will have to download the following from: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209037

(REQUIRED)  NB_CLT_7.5.0.7-tar-split.1of3 (package 1 of 3)  provides fixes for NetBackup 7.5 for all UNIX/Linux/Mac clients.
(REQUIRED)  NB_CLT_7.5.0.7-tar-split.2of3 (package 2 of 3)  provides fixes for NetBackup 7.5 for all UNIX/Linux/Mac clients
(REQUIRED)  NB_CLT_7.5.0.7-tar-split.3of3 (package 3 of 3)  provides fixes for NetBackup 7.5 for all UNIX/Linux/Mac clients

Hope this helps!

SujayDesai
Level 3
Employee

Hi Bharadwaj,

Kindly follow below steps for downloading Unix client packages:-

1. Download all similarly prefixed image files, for example, "_tar-gz.1of2" and 
   "_tar-gz.2of2". 

2. Run the appropriate command to join the .tar.gz files together: 

- On UNIX systems: 
     cat "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.1of3" "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.2of3"  "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.3of3" > "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz" 

- On Windows systems: 
     copy /b "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.1of3"+"NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.2of3"+"NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.3of3" "NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz" 

3. Use an md5sum command to ensure that your number matches the below provided
   value. 

md5sum  NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz =  24844689e219d3c467e884fb5737101b 

NOTE: You can download the MD5sum utilities from many sites, choose one that
   you trust. 

4. After you have successfully joined the files, you are ready to uncompress the 
   packages.

5. Once uncompressed then proceed to installation by running "./install" under NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS directory and Netbackup will automatically detect the client OS and install accordingly(This is only for Unix/Linux clients).

6. Once Netbackup 7.5 installation of client is successful proceed for applying patch 7.5.0.7

Below is the link to download patch 7.5.0.7 and follow the stpes recommended in technote:-

www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209037     

BharadwajR
Level 3

Hi Sujay,

Till 4th step its okay.

i have extracted Netbackup 7.5 client software.

My doubt is shall i need to copy complete 3.7 GB "Netbackup 7.5 client" software into each and every client server (14 clients)  and run ./install ?

BharadwajR
Level 3

Hi watson,

I have found client softwares in ..\NBClients\anb\Clients\usr\openv\netbackup\client.

I am seeing INTEL,HP-UX,RS6000,Solaris,Linux client softwares.

I have copied RS6000 client software from this pack and pasted in one of the AIX client server.

I have stopped NB services in client and removed /usr/openv directory.

When i type ./install_client ,i am getting following error .

#./install_client

/usr/openv/netbackup/version not found or corrupted.
Unknown hardware type:

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Unless you have a Unix or Linux Master server to push-install the client software, the answer is an unfortunate YES. Another option is to NFS share the extracted software on a server or client with sufficient space and the mount the share on the clients.

SujayDesai
Level 3
Employee

Hi Bharadwaj,

Yes, Marianne  is correct and also make sure we have 4Gb space available in /tmp directory on each client.

If there are more than 5-10 clients then you can try to perform push installation for Unix/Linux clients but you will need Master server as Unix/Linux only.

Check installation guide of Netbacku 7.5 for Unix/Linux and goto page 115 to check steps for Installing NetBackup client software

BharadwajR
Level 3

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

We have quickly and successfully installed NB 7.5 client with NFS share by mounting on each client.