Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading NBU 7.5.0.6 to 7.6.0.2 in cluster environment

Manish_Bhatia
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our netbackup version from 7.5.0.6 to 7.6.0.2. I need below information

1 do we need to upgrade all media servers on same time along with master server upgrade. or it could be done afterwards, in phases

2 how long will it take for database rebuild, and it depends on what parameters

3 If anyone has done the same in clustered environment, please share the step by step method with all pre-requisites.

Thanks

Manish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

1. Yes you can do the media servers later. You should do opscenter (if you have one) first
  2. The database from 7.5.0.6 has only minor changes, there is no long process. MSDP/Appliances however have many changes to the dedupe DB which could take more than 24 hours depending on the size.

1. Run NBCC to check for inconsistencies.
  2. Share with support if any are found.
  3. Check the upgrade portal for any new notes before upgrading.
  4. Make sure your cluster software is supported by 7.6.0.x.
  5. On the day run catalog backup.
  6. Upgrade both nodes to 7.6.0.1 be running installer (it will push the upgrade to both nodes).
  7. Then patch the active node to 7.6.0.2, after that patch the passive node to 7.6.0.2

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello

1. Yes you can do the media servers later. You should do opscenter (if you have one) first
  2. The database from 7.5.0.6 has only minor changes, there is no long process. MSDP/Appliances however have many changes to the dedupe DB which could take more than 24 hours depending on the size.

1. Run NBCC to check for inconsistencies.
  2. Share with support if any are found.
  3. Check the upgrade portal for any new notes before upgrading.
  4. Make sure your cluster software is supported by 7.6.0.x.
  5. On the day run catalog backup.
  6. Upgrade both nodes to 7.6.0.1 be running installer (it will push the upgrade to both nodes).
  7. Then patch the active node to 7.6.0.2, after that patch the passive node to 7.6.0.2

Manish_Bhatia
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Riaan. Any idea how to check the time required for dedupe DB, as we have msdp in our environment.

Also the cluster software is vcs 6.1 running on RHEL 6.4.

Marianne
Level 6

Please download all of these manuals and read sections that deal with upgrade of clustered master server:

NetBackup 7.6 Upgrade Guide 
NetBackup Installation Guide  
NetBackup Clustered Master Server Administrator's Guide 

After reading the documentation, you should be able to compile your own step-by-step task list.

RiaanBadenhorst

I think you can calculate it, it will also tell you as part of the upgrade, but what I've seen from other users is that its not very accurate. I would make sure I have somewhere else to backup to in case it over runs your non-backup window.

SFHA 6.1 is not supported as per SORT.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

7.6.x has pddeobjectcount utility which helps you to determine estimated time required for MSDP DB upgrade

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH213728

Generate checklist from SORT.symantec.com for upgrade

And go through documentation mentioned by marianne