cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading NetBackup Master from 7.7.3 to 8.1.2 when AIR is configured

HPosenRU
Level 4

Mu current NetBackup environment consists of a 7.7.3 Master server running Solaris 11 using AIR to another 7.7.3 Master server running Solaris 11.Is there an order for upgrading the Master servers when AIR is being used i.e. does the remote Master need to be upgraded first or it doesn't matter? Are there any other issues I should be aware of? Should the Security Certificates all be generated on the source Master?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you can upgrade either source or target first. There is no restriction - remember that sometimes AIR is bi-directional and it would complicate upgrade scenarios because then you would have to upgrade all Masters at the same moment.

However in an one-directional AIR, I upgrade target server first because it is less critical then source Master with active backups.

You will have to deploy target master certificates on the source Master once you upgrade the source to 8.1.2

regards

Michal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

you can upgrade either source or target first. There is no restriction - remember that sometimes AIR is bi-directional and it would complicate upgrade scenarios because then you would have to upgrade all Masters at the same moment.

However in an one-directional AIR, I upgrade target server first because it is less critical then source Master with active backups.

You will have to deploy target master certificates on the source Master once you upgrade the source to 8.1.2

regards

Michal

Marianne

Please see this extract from NBU Dedupe Guide:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/AIR-127355784

The ability to perform Auto Image Replication between different versions of NetBackup does not overrule the basic image compatibility rules. For example, a database backup that was taken in one NetBackup domain can be replicated to a NetBackup domain of an earlier version. However, the older server may not be able to successfully restore from the newer image.

Thank you both for your feedback. I plan on upgrading the remote Master first and then the Source.