cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Netbackup from 8.1.1 to 8.1.2

gaapeio
Level 4

What are some of the things I should be aware of before upgrading current 8.1.1 environment to 8.1.2 ?

7 REPLIES 7

Krutons
   VIP   

The biggest thing to be aware of is the new SmartMeter feature, other than that, it's a pretty standard and upgrade.

What OS are your master/media servers running?

Kleber_Marra
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Gaapeio,

I just did the backup of the Master and the catalog, because from what I saw this update fixes some bugs, today I'm at 8.2 in an average environment, around 2,200 vms and very homogeneous and without any critical problem, just the basics of the day. day.

bye.

We have Windows 2012 master servers, and 4 Veritas appliances.

Can I use a "Smart Meter key" for a test install before I implement into our production environment ?

Krutons
   VIP   

If you have a test environment, I'd suggest upgrading that to 8.1.2 or 8.2 and get a feel for the Web UI (although still not very polished, it is where Veritas is heading eventually). This would also help you understand and see how SmartMeter works, you'll see the info required in the licensing section when you download the 8.1.2 and 8.2 binaries.

As for your OS of your master server, you won't have any issues with compatability.

With the new Smart Meter license, could I build a test 8.1.2 master server before deploying into production or do I need an additional license for this ?

Krutons
   VIP   

I believe you can use your production license for it, obviously you'd blow away your test environment before upgrading your production systems. 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If you have capacity based licensing then you can spin up as many masters and medias as you want, and your test environment is going to be so small as to not impact front-end license consumption in any meaningful way.

If you have traditional licensing, then I would expect that Veritas won't mind you spinning up one or two "DR test" ;) servers for just a few days - just don't keep them hanging around for too long - really, don't keep them hanging around.