cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Opscenter and NBU master servers from 7.7 to 8.x

jjimenez2
Level 5

Hi 

We have 2 master server running on 7.7 and managed by 1 opscenter. That opscenter installed on same server with our one master server.

We are planning to upgrade the 2 master servers to 8.x version.

Currrent environment: 2 Master servers: 7.7 and Opscenter: 8.0

I red this https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/27537447-127427700-0/v29832252-127427700

-Installation of OpsCenter Server software on a NetBackup master server or media server is possible if you want to monitor only one master server. An example is the master server on which the OpsCenter server software is installed.

-To monitor more than one master server, Veritas recommends that you install the OpsCenter server software on a separate standalone server.

-Veritas recommends that any NetBackup master server is monitored by only one OpsCenter server.

-The OpsCenter Server must be of the same or later version than the NetBackup master server version that it monitors. For example, OpsCenter 8.0 can monitor NetBackup 8.0 and earlier master servers.

I would like to know some recommendation since the client cant provide other machine for opscenter server.

After we upgrade the opscenter to 8.0 it is okay to upgrade next the master server? if that opscenter monitor only that master ? casuse last time we tried to upgrade the master server from 7.7 to 8.0 but a lot of issue encountered so we decided to roll back the version.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Not sure what other recommendation you are looking for?
OpsCenter should always be on a separate server. Especially where there are 2 master servers.

What kind of issues did you experience with previous upgrade attempt?

Hi Marianne,

We pending the upgrade from 7.6 to 8.x but the current version of master servers are 7.7 and opscenter 8.0.

Our client decided to install both opscenter software same to 2 master servers since this is the recomendation of veritas.

1 opscenter per master server.

My problem here is there any guide how to separate the opscenter DB since the current set up is 2 master server managed by 1 master server. Thanks

*2 master server managed by 1 opscenter

Marianne

I don't understand what you are saying about Veritas recommendation... 

The recommendation has ALWAYS been that Opsenter should be on a different server due to resource contention.

The manual says installation on same server is  possible, but still not recommended. 

I suggest that you encourage the customer to provide a separate server - it can be a VM.

I have never seen any documentation on how to split OpsCenter database - only how to move it to a new server. 

Hi Marianne,

If the customer cant provide another server machine for OpsCenter, Is possible to merge the 2 master server in one server? and use the other machine for opscenter?

Marianne

Correct, as per KB doc 100016305, merging of master server is possible, but it is not a DIY job.

It is a consulting job that requires a set of migration tools.
These tools are only available to trained Veritas Consultants and Consulting Partners. 

Mike_Gavrilov

It's easier to install new OPSCenter on the another master server that to merge master servers (BTW it costs money) and move OPSCenter.