cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading windows 2008 cluster from 6.5 to 7.1.3

BTLOMS
Level 5

This is a windows 2008 cluster that hosts MS Exchange. It is also a media server. Its currently on NBU 6.5.

How do i upgrade to 7.1.3 ? I hear there are some issues upgrading a cluster.

Please advice.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup Media Server cannot be clustered in 7.x - both nodes are installed as independent media servers, but clustered 6.5 media server can be upgraded to 7.x in its clustered form.

Can you confirm that NBU is indeed clustered? In its own resource group with own Virtual hostname?

The way we do it in 7.x is to install media server on each node and then use nbemmcmd commands to create 'app-cluster' using the same virtual hostname as the application (e.g. Exchange) virtual name. STU is then also created using virtual hostname.

NBU upgrade steps are listed in NBU Installation Guide
Steps for clustered master and/or media servers are listed under this topic in Installation Guide: Requirements for Windows cluster installations and upgrades

You need to upgrade to 7.1 first, then patch to 7.1.0.3.

Upgrade portal: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584

BTLOMS
Level 5

yes NBU is clustered and has its own resource group

BTLOMS
Level 5

will it support upgrade to 7.5 without issues? ( It obviously does support 7.5 else they would not release it :)   ) but are there any known issues ?

BTLOMS
Level 5

also -i forgot to mention - this is a media server.

BTLOMS
Level 5

Hi Marianne - i was told that NBU 7.x  Media servers are not supported in clustered environment