cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use VSS with backup Problem

Puffy
Level 6
I have a new client previously using backup exec. We have recently install Netbackup agent to use this new client on our Netbackup library.

However we found that the backup is slower than using backup exec. Upon some troubleshooting, we found that the main cause is that the Netbackup backup is not using VSS.

We tested again using Backup Exec and the same selection will trigger the shadow copy to run. However this does not happen with Netbackup.

I did add the File Open Option under the Host Properties and select VSS. Have restarted both client/server netbackup services. 

Client: Windows 2003 (VSP is not installed)

Netbackup Server: Windows 2003 NBU 6.0 MP4

6 REPLIES 6

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
hi,

you mean to say that you have added your client under master server host properties>client attributes>windows open file backup.

let me know what;s your backup selection list.

Puffy
Level 6
 Hi,

Backup selection is normal all file-based

examples:

D:\Backup\*.txt
E:\Backup\*.txt

I didn't use any directives or advanced client configuration
Poilcy Type : MS-Windows-NT

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
As you did not use ALL_LOCAL_Drives it will not do the shadow copy unless you tell it to.

Add Shadow Copy Components:\ to your selection (its in the pull down menu)

Puffy
Level 6
 Hi, not really meant using shadow copy (system state). I'm referring to the Volume Shadow Copy (Not sure why it called VSS) :)

Normally when you specified to use Open File backup, VSS or VSP snapshot is needed. However in my case, this snapshot is not triggered whenever I run a back up of F:\ drive for example. Hence backup is very slow and some files will failed.

However if I use the same selection with BackupExec agent, the VSS will trigger and the backup is successful and fast with no errors.

Hence my problem with Netbackup is that the VSS/VSP will not trigger. 

Quite a funny problem as usually when you enable the File Open option from Host Properties > Master, you can force the client to run with either VSP/VSS.

Client is Windows 2003 client and VSS is indeed working as BackupExec agent is able to trigger it.

Weird....

quebek
   VIP    Certified
After installing NBU client software have You rebooted this client?

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
If you have installed NBU for Windows on a server which still has Backup Exec installed, there is a conflict and strange things will happen.  One issue is under "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services".  Here you may find NBU port numbers have been deleted.

My strong recommedation is to uninstall Backup Exec and reinstall NBU.