Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a diferent BROWSECLIENT from SQLHOST

klunkySQL
Level 3
Good afternoon. 

I wonder if there is any solution to this problem:

I have 3 SQL instances with different HOST's and I would always use the same BROWSECLIENT, ie all backups of all SQLHOST's would be stored in the same BROWSECLIENT. 

Is it possible? 

example:

SQLHOST "Instance1" -> makes backup to BROWSECLIENT "VirtualMachine" 
SQLHOST "Instance2" -> makes backup to BROWSECLIENT "VirtualMachine" 
SQLHOST "Instance3" -> makes backup to BROWSECLIENT "VirtualMachine"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please stick to supported backup and restore methods. That is only way to ensure support should anything go wrong.

SQLHOST and BROWSECLIENT will be local hostname on each SQL server where instances need to be backed up.

When you want to restrore, BROWSECLIENTneeds to correspond with source client name.

Steps are explained under Redirecting a restore to a different host in the NBU for SQL manual.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne

Sounds like you need to backup a SQL cluster?

If so, please go through this section in NBU for SQL Admin Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5173

Chapter 8 Using NetBackup for SQL Server with clustering solutions

SQLHOST and BROWSECLIENT should both be set "VirtualMachine" linked to instance name.
To enable restores from any of the nodenames, you need to create altnames entries on the master.
Details in above manual.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the client specified in the policy is the virtual name and that same name is used in the bch file then you should be fine - keep the case the same though!

You may want a policy for each instance so that each points to its own bch file

But there shouldnt be any real issues with this - all covered in the admin guide linked by Marianne

klunkySQL
Level 3

Hello, thanks for all the input.

@Marianne, no this is not a cluster, its 3 separate machines, that i want them all to backup to the same BROWSECLIENT.

Like this:

1 instance in Floor A

1 instance in Floor B

1 instance in Floor C.

When i backup all instance i want them all to go to, to the same BROWSECLIENT ( lets call XCLIENT ). This way i have all my instances in the same "server".

If i need to RESTORE any DB in any SQL Instance, i will read all my BACKUPS from the XCLIENT, when i have the FloorA Backups, FloorB Backups and FloorC Backups

Marianne

It cannot be done in this way.

When you want to restore on XCLIENT, you need to perform steps in the manual for Redirected restore.
(Link in my previous post).

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am with Marianne on this one - really cannot - or at least should not be done

Keep it as it is - you can still have all three servers in one policy as long as they use the same name for the batch file and it is in the same location

klunkySQL
Level 3

Thanks once again for the input :)

Maybe im not explaining that well... the objective is to have the XCLIENT with backups of the 3 instances and when i need to restore i will read from XCLIENT to one of my instances.

How can a policy help me in this matter ?

Want me to paste here some sample scripts of my idea ?

klunkySQL
Level 3

Want the scripts :) ?

Will_Restore
Level 6

No, sorry, can't see this working.  Cannot direct backups of multiple SQL servers to a single host.  You can redirect restores as Mariannes points out above. 

Marianne

Please stick to supported backup and restore methods. That is only way to ensure support should anything go wrong.

SQLHOST and BROWSECLIENT will be local hostname on each SQL server where instances need to be backed up.

When you want to restrore, BROWSECLIENTneeds to correspond with source client name.

Steps are explained under Redirecting a restore to a different host in the NBU for SQL manual.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Klunky SQL, I think I understand what you are trying to explain here. Here's the scenerio in my environment. I have a single host" though in clusters" hosting different instances- Atleast minimum of 4. As Marianne & Mark has explained above, all you have to do is create separate batch scripts for each of the DBs/instances residing in the same physical server. You can have your backup policy pointing to the 3 scripts as per your need or create separate policies. SQLHOST & BROWSECLIENT definitely needs to have the names of each of the respective instances. But obviously, the 3 instance can residing on a single physical server.

Hope this helps.