cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a tools host, but have another server be the client.

o1crimson1o
Level 4

I've got a master server (obviously) and a media (yup also needed :) ).

And a tools host which houses a bunch of custom written tools our DataOps team uses.

Right now I notice when they run a backup job the tools host is used as the client. This adds an extra hop the data travels before it's actually put to tape.

So the flow as of right now is:

server -> tools -> media -> tape.

Is there a way to acheive the below.

user on tools host fires off a job. But the media server is the actual client and the data flow is

server -> media server -> tape.

I'm trying to stream line this (and learn as much about NB) as I can.

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

lets us know something more about the tools host please..

does it have all the Data it needs to backup? or is there any other server that has data and can be accessed though tools host by NFS or CIFS shares?

if tools host has all the data, then the backup data travle path is

tools host --> media server--> tape.

if you could configure tools host as media server then the backup path is 

tools host/media server --> tape.

do not consider the master server communicaiton as a data travle path, its just used to trasnfer the metadata, not actual backup data.

The tools server just runs scripts to create backup file list (to be parsed and put into a mysql DB to show what has been backedup, for the users).

The media server (ideally what I want to do the work) has ALL the same paths AS the tool server.

Users run a custom python script that then launches Netbackup.

I'm curious if I can have this command it runs (without say sshing into the media server to run it) launch a backup using the media server as the client.

We don't want to put any of our custom code on the media/master server and treat them as "appliances" Hence the tools server.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

how many clients are involved in this process?

when you say "The media server (ideally what I want to do the work) has ALL the same paths AS the tool server." Does it mean media server has all the data does that needs to backup?  if yes does it have any BCV Volumes with storage mirror, sycn and split ?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi

This is not accurate "server -> tools -> media -> tape"

Data doesn't flow like that in nbu

Can you please give a detailed description of what the script does and what data is on the client.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

let us know below...

master server OS ?

media Server OS ?

(client) tool hosts OS  ?