Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of alternate read server (vault)

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I duplicate tapes with vault between virtuel (VTL) and physical tapes.  Backups are kept 3 days on vitual tapes and several weeks on physival tapes.

I try to use "alternate read server" to limit CPU usage on my data base server during duplication (backup is from a SAN media server).

However, when I try to restore from physical tapes (copy 2), default media server seems to be the media server used to duplicate the tape !

Is there some way to keep the media server which has performed the backup as the default for the restore ?

Thanks for the help.

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314793.htm

To force restores to use a specific server

1. If necessary, physically move the media to the host to answer the restore requests, then update the Enterprise Media Manager database to reflect the move.

2. Modify the NetBackup configuration on the master server. Add the original backup media server and the restore server to the Media host override list in the General Server host properties.

3. Stop and restart the NetBackup Request Manager service (bprd) on the master server.

This process applies to all storage units on the original backup server. Restores for any storage unit on the Original backup server go to the server that is listed as the Restore server.

To revert to the original configuration for future restores, delete the line from the Media host override list.

David_McMullin
Level 6
Be aware that using the procedure above will take effect GLOBALLY - all restores from your tapes will go through that media server.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Physical tapes as virtual tapes are all shared between all the media servers, so there is no need to move the tapes.

However, it is not a good solution for me to modify target media server at restore time (procedure must be very simple at restore time - this procedure must be as simple as possible).

For all the SAN media servers, i am looking for a way to say: for this client which is also a SAN media server, alway use itself as media server for a restore, even if backup is copy 2 or copy 3 and even if this copy has been made by duplication of copy 1 on another server (by means of  "alternate read").
=> i hope ther is a way to do that at duplication time or just after duplication, and for each image.

If it is not possible (i.e. if we have complex jobs to do at restore time), I prefer to use the same SAN media server for backup and duplication... it seems me that it is not a good idea to use "alternate read" in this case if restore is more complex.