cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Script is not executing

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Hi All,

I have created flash backup user scripts for 12 servers. out of that 6 server's scripts are having issue. I unable to get any error msg .

I need your help.

Scripts are as follows. 

D:
cd Veritas\NetBackup\bin
bpbackup.exe -i -p xxx_D_W_M_STBY_xxxx_Flash -s D_xxxx -S xxx

Master server Solaris sparc and NBU 7.5.0.6

Media server windows 2008 and NBU 7.5.0.4

Kindly confirm any logs needed.

Thanks and regards,

Sagar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The actual issue here was the fact that you tried to run immediate backup (-i) of a normal scheduled policy from a client without a Server entry for the client on the master.

User type backup with a user type schedule (no -i) does not need a Server entry on the master.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What happens if you take the commands and run them manually ? If the scripts really aren't executing, then nothing in NBU s going to help as it is an os problem. Do the scripts have execute permissions for example (if required in windows - not 100% sure )

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Yes policy executing successfully manually. I need to check the permissions.

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

permission seems not be an issue. everything is right about permissions.

when i tried to execute the script from master from /netbackup/bin path. it executed successfuly on master. But it did not happened on client side. all 12 servers are same configuration.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I'm a UNIX guy, so I could be totally wrong, but I think it works on your master because you're actually calling bpbackup from the folder it's contained in - check your path to bpbackup on your clients (I'm more used to seeing C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin, for instance.)

Does "cd" work within a script?  Maybe call bpbackup using the full path instead of trying to cd to the directory and then call it?

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

I have tried all possible ways to execute the scripts. will u give me a example how should script write with direct path?

cd is happening on the server.

D:
cd Veritas\Netbackup\bin\bpbackup.exe -i -p DAKC_W_M_xxxx_Flash -s W_xxxx -S xxx

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm a unix guy also ...

I would image this:

d:\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpbackup.exe -i -p xxx_D_W_M_STBY_xxxx_Flash -s D_xxxx -S xxx

It is better to put the NBU paths 

<install path>\veritas\netbackup\bin

<install path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd

<install path>\veritas\volmgr\bin

... into the OS PATH variable, that way you can just type the command without having to cd to the dir.

Eg.

Add the directories the the PATH user variable (Right click computer, Properties, Advanced System Settings, Environment Variables (Path is under System variable ), For example.

C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Oracle\Ora92\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3.1\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;C:\Program Files\RSA SecurID Token Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient\;C:\Program Files\Symantec\Workspace Virtualization\;C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin;C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Dear,

I have tried the script as per your suggestion. script is executed but not coming in activity monitor.

First time I am facing this user script issue.

Marianne

ONLY NBU server can execute 'bpbackup -i'.

-i is immediate backup, similar to right-click on master server GUI to run policy manually.

Add a SERVER entry on the master server for this client hostname to allow -i option.

To troubleshoot, create bprd log folder on the master and restart NBU to enable the log.
bprd log will show incoming backup request and how master server was handling the request.

Logs on the client should be bpbackup folder and possibly a log file that you can add with -L option in bpbackup command.

PS:

Best to specify command in script as follows:

D:\Veritas\Netbackup\bin\bpbackup.exe -i -p DAKC_W_M_xxxx_Flash -s W_xxxx -S xxx

Marianne

OK - so your colleague followed my advice and added bp.conf entry on the master server:

SERVER = HBRABKPWEB1

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-configure-user-script-flash-backup-windows-cli...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thats a good point Marianne - -i is server only.

WHy not just run the jobs via nbpem ... make your life a lot easier ....

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

We have  changed all the policies to Standard as the these servers are having some patches issue.

Thanks for you support. yes

Marianne

The actual issue here was the fact that you tried to run immediate backup (-i) of a normal scheduled policy from a client without a Server entry for the client on the master.

User type backup with a user type schedule (no -i) does not need a Server entry on the master.

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Hi Marianne ,

these policies were flash backup policies not normal policies and also we tried i option because there was no backup window mentioned in policy and no path. So we tried to created the user flash backup policy with i option.

We entered all the required entries in media and master server.

Thanks,

Sagar