Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DD as VTL related query

lovy
Level 4

Hi all,

I have one question....

In which scenarios we can use DD as VTL. means what is the significance of doing this.

I have one scenario like: if in ur env. BW is less like you have link of only 1Gig in that case u can use DD as VTL.

can someone share other options as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

The speeds between VTL and OST are pretty close when it comes to single-stream and multi-stream restores.  This is the only metric to be concerned about.

OST on multi-stream writes are anywhere from2-4x better than VTL, even if using multiple 8GB FC cards/ports in a DataDomain device.

VTL is better than NFS and CIFS most days of the week.

That being said, here are some reasons why to use VTL, or even FC in general...  

You can do OST/BOOST over FC

You can do NDMP over VTL

Some folks just like block protocols (Political reasons, experience, or preferences)

You may have other applications in the environment that can leverage the FC ports or VTL functions.  Not everyone is standerized on one backup platform...  I know of many NBU customers with an MS ELA, and use MS's DPM product to disk, tape or VTL for Exchange/Sharepoint as it's a superior product on those platforms.  iSeries folks writing to tape/VTL.  IBM TSM in a hospital for PACs, with NBU on the "Corporate," side of the house.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It depends on what you license from EMC regarding your DD?

OST would be better than VTL IMHO.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The speeds between VTL and OST are pretty close when it comes to single-stream and multi-stream restores.  This is the only metric to be concerned about.

OST on multi-stream writes are anywhere from2-4x better than VTL, even if using multiple 8GB FC cards/ports in a DataDomain device.

VTL is better than NFS and CIFS most days of the week.

That being said, here are some reasons why to use VTL, or even FC in general...  

You can do OST/BOOST over FC

You can do NDMP over VTL

Some folks just like block protocols (Political reasons, experience, or preferences)

You may have other applications in the environment that can leverage the FC ports or VTL functions.  Not everyone is standerized on one backup platform...  I know of many NBU customers with an MS ELA, and use MS's DPM product to disk, tape or VTL for Exchange/Sharepoint as it's a superior product on those platforms.  iSeries folks writing to tape/VTL.  IBM TSM in a hospital for PACs, with NBU on the "Corporate," side of the house.