cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MariaDB plugin to backup MariaDB

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Hello Forum Guru's

We are deploying ServiceNow into our production environment and I was hoping that I could be guided on how to achieve successful backup with the client. I have been going through the MariaDB admin guide which is a bit sketchy in places. Has anyone done this successfully. Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

admin_bkp007
Level 4

We never backup MariaDB, but we did recently Sybase by script and we use scripts models and everything working well, did you try use script? 

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I am just configuring it. I have written an article in my blog (I have translate it with google translator):

https://netbackupguru-es.translate.goog/netbackup-para-mariadb/?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es&...

Hope it helps.

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Hi Enrique,

thank you for the article that you have kindly linked. I have a question regarding the user in Nbmariadb.conf is that a local Linux user or a user in the mariadb. I had the db admins create a db user and I cannot get it to work. I am leaning towards a local user with privileges granted in the mariadb. Is this what you have configured and if it is did you install the netbackup client and Maria plugin using this account. 

kindest regards

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have configured it using a mariadb user, and I installed the plugin using root local account. Have you tested with mariadb root user to check if it works and maybe there is any privilege missing?

Regards,

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Hi Enrique,

I have finally got the backups working using root as you have suggested and I can run the command "nbmariadb -o backup" and the db back ups run. I have specified a user in the nbmariadb.conf and I am assuming that this is the user that is performing the backup of the mariadb even thought the command was run as root. What I need to workout now is whether I run the backups from the crontab or run from a schedule in NetBackup using the script from tech article 100041621. The architect wants backup every 15 mins as this will be a P1 application. I hope to do a proper write up of the procedure that worked for me. It has been a learning curve in Linux and database application backups. Our DBA's which we have been predominately MS SQL have always favoured the dump to flat files and I hoover them up, so quite a change for both teams.