cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Netbackup 7.6 to write all Symantec Enterprise Vault to tape ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

I got Symantec Enterprise Vault v9.0.4 closed partitions that I need to send off to tape to reduce the disk space usage (12 closed partitions in total of 12 TB), with the new Symantec Netbackup v7.6 how can I safely migrate the close partition to tape while keeping the open partition and the index still running attached to the old EV 9 server ?

After the closed EV partition data, what happened to the archvied email in all of my user mailboxes and file server ?

How does the user receive the file or the archived email ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I also added the following to yoru other thread that appears on here:

You cannot quite do that ... the only option is to set it to do collections (where it cabs the files for you) and then also set the secondary migration using the Symantec NetBackup option.

This cabs up as much as it can (according to your settings) into cab files and then migrates these cab file to NetBackup using a DataStore Policy and DataStore volume pool - all cab files get written to tapes within NetBackup

This shifts most of your data from EV into NetBackup and if called for mounts the tape a reads it back to EV

Doesn't move it all but i guess it is what you are looking for?

Old thread but gives the idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-and-enterprise-vault-integration

#edit# above from this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-set-configure-netbackup-ev-closed-partition-tape-...

The answer is effectively Not All data - just the cab files - which will be most of it when set up appropriately

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

See the other post .. basically yes .. disk space will be freed up .. the partition will still exist and need to be migrated to the new server and some dvs files and folders will still exist .. but the partition should be smaller to make life easier

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

John_Santana
Level 6

not yet fully answered though, only partially.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I also added the following to yoru other thread that appears on here:

You cannot quite do that ... the only option is to set it to do collections (where it cabs the files for you) and then also set the secondary migration using the Symantec NetBackup option.

This cabs up as much as it can (according to your settings) into cab files and then migrates these cab file to NetBackup using a DataStore Policy and DataStore volume pool - all cab files get written to tapes within NetBackup

This shifts most of your data from EV into NetBackup and if called for mounts the tape a reads it back to EV

Doesn't move it all but i guess it is what you are looking for?

Old thread but gives the idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-and-enterprise-vault-integration

#edit# above from this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-set-configure-netbackup-ev-closed-partition-tape-...

The answer is effectively Not All data - just the cab files - which will be most of it when set up appropriately

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks Mark.

I'm trying to migrate off data as much as I can to free up some disk space on the SAN before I decommision the old EV 9 server and migrating the open VaultStore into new EV 10 server.

So In this case:

• I need to convert the existing EV 9.0 closed vault store into collection while I have EV 9 server still on.
  • After the conversion, all of the converted VaultStore .CAB can be written to tape by Netbackup 7.6 followed by the decommisioning of the old EV 9 server

so when the user ned to restore the archived item, I can do it after I restore the .CAb file into the EV 10 ?

is that correct ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

See the other post .. basically yes .. disk space will be freed up .. the partition will still exist and need to be migrated to the new server and some dvs files and folders will still exist .. but the partition should be smaller to make life easier

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool,

Mark the existing EV VaultStore is using many drive letters from letter E to X so can I move the 'remaining' smaller directory into the CIFS share after the bulk of the .CAB files has been written to tape ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Probably easiest to do it all when you upgrade to V10 to be honest using the migration wizard - you can put in a new EV10 server, map all the partitions on it where ever you like and then run the wizard on the new server to point to where all the partitions are on that server - saves even doing the upgrade .. straight from V9 to V10 on a new server - works great!:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42445

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, thanks Mark.

So in this case do I need to /must provides the same amount of storage available to EV 9.0 same to the new EV 10 server 1:1 ratio ?

is there anything that I can reduce or migrate to Netbackup safely to reduce the need to provision the same storage capacity since I'm running low.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The only way to migrate is using the collections / migrations - of course check that you are actually running cleanups / deletes as they dont happen by default .. so you may have a 3 year retention but if there is no site schedule for when deletions happen you never get rid of anything