cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Netbackup Advanced Disk with Windows 2003 R2 & NFS Server

T_J_
Level 3
I'm currently in a pickle where I was advised that the 10TB of VTL space my firm leases in our managed datacenter will be migrated to a new frame in the next 6 weeks, which in reality gives me to two weeks, since I keep everything on disk for a month.  Due to additional circumstances tied into the migration which are outside of our control I've been asked to come up with alternatives. 

Currently I use SLP's to cut to tape once a month.  Environment has two servers, Master/Media Server w/VTL & Media Server with fiber attached MSL4048.  I have no SSO for tape so it duplicates over the LAN.   

That being said I found Symantec rolled up the VTL per TB licenses into flexible disk so I now have the option to leverage 10-15TB's of available HDS WMS space into a disk solution.  17 white papers, 4 manuals, 3 best practices guides, 19 cups of coffee and 7 aspirins later I decided I have two... really one viable option. 

First, Shared Disk, however, this is a dead path since it is going away in 7.0 (as per page 4 of the Best Practices for Disk Layout with the Flexible Disk Option from April 5th) so I'm not very keen on it. 

The second, Advanced disk.  Ideally, I'd like to use NFS, despite its limitations (single volume in a pool), in order to share the disk and move the SLP duplication data over fiber.  Has anyone attempted to use Windows 2003 R2 w/NFS.  The other NFS option would be to get a NAS head for the WMS to present NFS but it would in all likelihood be cost prohibitive. 

Thanks in advance!

TJ
0 REPLIES 0