cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Single Tape Library for fail over

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

I Have a IBM TS3200 tape library with one Robot & Two Drives.

We Have One media server and one master server. media server is connected with Tape library.

Now we want to add one more media server as fail over media server. Can I add a single tape library for both the media servers and can I use the same Single robot, Two tape libraries as fail over during a media server failure.

My plan is configure storage devices from both the media servers. and after configuration completes. I will see two robots each from each media server, and two tape drives which is in shared after this if I create a storage group with these two Robots as failover. and if i assign that storage group for any policy for backup is it accessable during a media server failure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would leave the second server unzoned unless it is needed, if so, just swap it over.

People do zone multiple servers into robots, but I really don;t recommend it.  I see plenty of calls where this kind of setup either causes an issue, or is suspected to be part of the issue.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should not add the same robot to two servers at the same time.

Suggestion.

Set the master as the robot control host.  In the event of failure of the master, you lose everthing anyway so this makes sense.

SSO the drives (Needs license) between the two media servers, that way, in the event of one media server going down, you still have the other.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should not add the same robot to two servers at the same time.

Suggestion.

Set the master as the robot control host.  In the event of failure of the master, you lose everthing anyway so this makes sense.

SSO the drives (Needs license) between the two media servers, that way, in the event of one media server going down, you still have the other.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

Thank you mph.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

I can't do this because my master server is a hyper-V machine

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ahh, ok ... in that case ...

Leave it as it is.  Should a media server fail, reconfigure the robot to the other one.  You could set up the zoning on the swiutch in advance, and only enable if required, reconfig in NBU only takes a few minutes.

The issue with having multiple 'hosts' seeing a device they are not using (eg. media 2 seeing robot when media 1 is the RCH) is that if the OS of media2 probes the robot, it can cause all sorts of problems.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

Thank you, U mean to Say we have to disable the Zoning in the SAN Switch For 2nd media server or we have Disable from Server(OS) level.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would leave the second server unzoned unless it is needed, if so, just swap it over.

People do zone multiple servers into robots, but I really don;t recommend it.  I see plenty of calls where this kind of setup either causes an issue, or is suspected to be part of the issue.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

thank you