cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a DataDomain without using Boost

Mark_Donaldson
Level 3

We've got a a new DD9900 running DD0S-7 in our environment and it's not certified for use with our scattered v8.0 media servers.  My idea is to run Boost from our v8.1.2 media servers (where it's on-matrix) and not use boost from our v8.0 media servers.  (...while we madly convert in the background.)

I'm really only familiar with using these devices with OST though.  My reading suggests that non-OST use is limited to VTL (unlicensed) or NFS/CIFS mounts on media servers (which we're licensed for). Is this right?

Can I use mtrees as disk storage devices, over the network, without using NFS?  I'd like it to behave like a non-accelerated disk pool on a storage server.

TIA - Mark

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Maybe @Nicolai might have some ideas.

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

If I'm not mistaken you can use the DD as an NFS/CIFS target. From a NetBackup point of view it is simply a basic disk/advanced disk target. At the DD end, you should be able to configure the share volume/mtree to perform post write deduplication. The shared volume should be able to be shared with all the 8.0 media servers (just provide a different folder in the share for each - that way you will get the best deduplication). 

I was going to suggest duplicating from your 8.0 media server to 8.1.x media servers to allow data to get to the DD via OST. But then I remembered that the duplication from 8.0 to 8.1 has a fingerprint hash performance hit (as it converts the fingerpint from MD5 to SHA-2) - so this isn't a good idea. 

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

NFS/CIFS is unlicensed ( or inclued in base purchage) of Data domain feature ,and you can only use this if you do not have licenced features like VLT and DDboost.

you can not  use  mtrees as disk storage devices without using NFS or CIFS.

From a NetBackup point of view it is simply a basic disk/advanced disk target

Basic Disk only, I think. Advanced Disk needs to be block.  I'd get the on-DD deduplication after the fact but NFS is a sucky protocol for backups.  Lots of chatter.

NFS/CIFS is unlicensed ( or inclued in base purchage) of Data domain feature ,and you can only use this if you do not have licenced features like VLT and DDboost.

you can not  use  mtrees as disk storage devices without using NFS or CIFS.

We're certainly licensed for NFS/CIFS.  We use a DD NFS as a share for our AIX guys to dump their system images.

So, mtrees seem to be OST, NFS, or CIFS.  Bummer. 

We're testing OST with NB v8.0 (officially not supported) and at least the backup part of simple Unix backups works.  Not a big result since VMDK is two-thirds of our source data and, of course, who cares if you can backup without a valid restore test.  Baby steps.  

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Mark_Donaldson 

Good motivation to upgrade those 8.0 media servers ASAP.

On a side note - are you the same Mark Donaldson from the Veritas-bu mailing list?

I have been sharing your 'client-version' script on more than one occasion! Smiley Very Happy

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/How-to-get-the-client-NBu-version-form-master/m-p/693285#M18428...

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/netbackup-client-version/m-p/488877#M112262

Good to see that you are not lost to NetBackup world!

Genericus
   VIP   

I have a DD9800, and I do this. 

BOOST "acceleration" is a check box on the policy - you no check, it is straight disk target.

The DD will still dedupe on disk, you just do not store the change block or accelerate the backup.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS