cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using bpcd and bpbkar logs to figure out why a drive isn't being backed up

DoubleP
Level 5

We are seeing an unusual occurence on some of our backups (windows). Even though the backups complete successfully with a status ), not everything that should be backed up is. For example, one of the policies backs up, 4 drives, however, only three of the drives are actually backed up. In this example, the F drive is not. In the restore screen, the F drive will show, but when you look inside, not of the subfolders exist. I even tried deleting the F drive from the backup selection, using browse, checkmarking all the subfolders. Still, when the the backup completes, the issue still exists. There are about 20 related policies, all copied from the first. Not all of the policies are having this issue. A storage engineerin a different department suggested that we gather the bpcd and bpbkar logs . We've done so, but I'm curious what we should be looking for specifically in the logs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We discovered what the issue was. These related policies were for a company we acquired. Since we don't have access to the client server, we couldn't tell that the drives that were not being backed up were DFSR shares. Once we discovered this, we were able to remedy the situation.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

The bpbkar logs should be the most useful for this - look for the indication where it looks to start the backup of F drive and see why this backup is skipped or fails. 
Have you checked to make sure this drive is not excluded - check the client properties to see what exclusions are listed.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @DoubleP 

For tracing that you need to use the bpbkar_path_tr touch file and set VERBOSE=5, to see why Netbackup exclude the F: drive. Reading the bpbkar log takes a little training, but search for the word "exclude" will help ;)

Also see this tech note:

Usage specifics of the bpbkar_path_tr touch file to enable enhanced debug logging of the bpbkar process

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016313

Hint: Check client's exclude list, they can be policy specific. Defined exclude list can be found in the Netbackup BAR GUI

Thanks @Nicolai , I'll give that a shot.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have always been able to find Exclude details in bpbkar log with relative low logging levels.

If a drive letter is under control of DFS Replication, then the contents will become part of Shadow Copy Components. 

Other data may also be 'filtered' into SCC - according to this article, you will be able to see the evidence in bpbkar log with level 2 logging: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100022527 

@davidmoline, the exclusions were the first thing I checked. All the related clients and policies are set up the same,. It's only a few out of the bunch that are experiencing this issue w/the F:drive.

Marianne

@DoubleP 

All you can do now is to check bpbkar log.
We can assist if you upload bpbkar file as .txt file.

One more thing to look for: 
Find out if volumes are mounted as subdirectories. 
If this is the case, you need to select 'Cross mount points' in the policy attributes. 

See this old (still relevant) TN: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100019605

@Marianne , thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking into this for the next few days.

We discovered what the issue was. These related policies were for a company we acquired. Since we don't have access to the client server, we couldn't tell that the drives that were not being backed up were DFSR shares. Once we discovered this, we were able to remedy the situation.

Marianne
@DoubleP
Glad I could point you in the right direction!