cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VADP & Snapshot questions with Netbackup

alazanowski
Level 5

I know that the majority of the information is regarding configuration in vsphere, but I am curious if anyone out there using Netbackup has come across this situation.

For maintaining our hot replication to our DR site (at least this is their arguement), our VM disks were built on luns that had only the bare minimum room left over after created the fixed-disk size. I of course, find myself unable to perform any VADP to netbackup backups since snapshots fail or crash the server because of lack of room for the child disks to exist during the backup.

My question is, if a common diskpool was presented to our ESX hosts, could the snapshot child disks/info be set to spawn on this disk pool? What i'm running into is VMs that are served as large file servers (a few terabytes of data, millions of files) only can be backed up currently through the traditional method via installed netbackup client and thus are extremely slow on the backups themselves. I'd have much better performance just grabbing the snapshot itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I wish i could say i could just expand the luns, but unfortunately we are fairly low on storage to be able to expand each lun out to an appropriate amount.

Thanks for your time in advance!

1 REPLY 1

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you create a VM snapshot the delta file for the VMDK stays in the same folder where the parent file is. In your case, this would mean that the same datastore (VMFS) will be used for snapshots. There is no way to override this behavior from the application (in your case, NetBackup) at this time. 

Warm regards,

Rasheed