cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VADP VMWare backup/restore host OS vs OS of VM's to backup/restore

ArisFC
Level 3

Hello everyone, I am told that for the VMWare restore hosts (AKA backup/recovery hosts in VMWARE/Netbackup literature) we need one for each server OS that needs backup but more importantly restoring.  So if we have a mix of Linux and Windows servers in our estate that needs backup/restore, we would need a Linux restore host and a Windows restore host. If this is indeed the case, obviously that makes the whole thing quite impractical: Ideally what I would like to have is just a single flavour of Media server, e.g. a RHEL 6.x media server, which will also be my VMWARE backup/restore/recovery host (using preferably SAN transport) and with that I would be able to backup and restore:

- RHEL 5.x VM's

- RHEL 6.x VM's

- Windows 2008R2 VM's

- Windows 2012 VM's.

In fact, if this is indeed the case, how close does the match of OS version need to be between the VMWARE backup/restore host and the VM to backup/restore? Does it mean that I need a RHEL5, AND a RHEL6, AND a W2008R2, AND a 2012 backup/restore host in my case? The backup/restore hosts will need NBU clients installed and I would have to use a media server which would have to be on a separate system, which is something I would like to avoid. As mentioned above, I would like to be able to have a combined Backup Host & Media Server for all flavours I would like to restore/backup.

I hope this makes sense. 

Your help is appreciated! Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the assumption/information  that you have is true for the case of BMR, but not for Vmware  backups..

you can have single Media server as backup host and can use for backup/recovery host for any of the VM, does not matter what OS the VM contains..

do remember RHEL has the limitation about the SAN transport method. they do not support the Mulitpathhing.. where as Windows backup hosts do support.

have a look into the below Document

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech127089.html

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla

the assumption/information  that you have is true for the case of BMR, but not for Vmware  backups..

you can have single Media server as backup host and can use for backup/recovery host for any of the VM, does not matter what OS the VM contains..

do remember RHEL has the limitation about the SAN transport method. they do not support the Mulitpathhing.. where as Windows backup hosts do support.

have a look into the below Document

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech127089.html

ArisFC
Level 3

Hi Ram,

Thanks for the swift response. I am looking at the Document you provided (thank you) but I am not sure where it's explicitly stated that, for instance, I can restore a Windows 2012 VM using a physical media server (and backup host combined) running RHEL6.x. Table 11 shows the link between NBU version, VSphere and backup/restore host OS, but doesn't mention anything about guest VM OS. Then, Table 13 talks about guest VMs but doesn't link them to a particular Backup Host OS. 

Sorry but I am struggling here! Many Thanks.

RamNagalla

hi ArisFC,

if you are looking for an exact Document for this , i  need to look for too..

but out of my expirence.. i have used windows backup host/media server to restore the unix VM, and also used Linux media server/backup host to restore the unix and windows VMs.. 

it does not matter what OS you have in backup host( as long as it is configured in supported methods)  to restore the VM.

sdo

Hi ArisFC - I can confirm that RamNagalla is correct.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

++ for RamNagalla's answer.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I can confirm what Ram is saying.

Remember - VMware backup is about moving a container files (vmdk files) with a OS in it. You are not actual taking backup of the OS as such. Because of this both Windows and Linux can backup and recover "cross OS" vmdk files.