Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VADP multipath - active/passive

moose467
Level 3
Partner

Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help.

I'm aware that (ESX datastore) multipathing does not work when using a linux media server as a backup host in an active/active configuration.

However I was wondering if it would work in an active/passive function.

e.g. the datastore is presented down both paths to the linux media server but only one path would be used by VADP. If this path failed, on restarting the backups would the "passive" path be used without any intervention? (other than manually restarting backups)

I've searched all over and can't seem to find any references other than multipathing is not supported on Linux backup hosts

Hope I've made myself clear

Thanks for any assistance you can give

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hello Moose467,

i did tested the active/passive configuraiton on my Suse Linux and it did not work few days ago.. 

so i got the conclusion that active/passive also does not work for Linux VAPD and implimented on new windows Media server.

if you want to use the Linux as backup host.. only single path is the option .. not even active/passive.. as per my test... 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hello Moose467,

i did tested the active/passive configuraiton on my Suse Linux and it did not work few days ago.. 

so i got the conclusion that active/passive also does not work for Linux VAPD and implimented on new windows Media server.

if you want to use the Linux as backup host.. only single path is the option .. not even active/passive.. as per my test... 

moose467
Level 3
Partner

Hi Nagalla,

Many thanks for your reply.

A shame your testing proved unsuccessful, I guess we will have to make the decision which backup host OS to use with these risks in mind.

Have a good weekend