cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCB Backup Moving to vStorage Backup

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have an environment which includes a Media Server which was being used for VCB backup from a VMware environment.  The NBU environment was at 701 and is being moved up to 7504.  I am aware that VCB is unsupported in 7.5 and beyond.

As the VMware environments are up to the required levels, 1 at VC 4.1 and ESX 3.5U5, 1 at VC 4.1 and ESX 4.1U2, the NBU system is not using VCB but using the vStorage API method.

I have a number of questions:

1. Can I simply upgrade the current Media Server which has the VCB software from 701 to 7504, or do I need to uninstall the VCB software first ?

2. Can I go ahead and change the current policy types from FlashBackup-Windows to VMWARE, or are there other dependencies i.e. Virtual Machine hardware levels etc. 

3. Anything else I need to watch out for here ?

Thanks,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Can't see a problem with just upgrading the Media Server but as VCB will no longer be used you may want to remove it anyway

2. You should be able to do this - you will need to go to the VMWare tab and ensure that you then have all of the setting you require as, no longer being VCB, it will change the setting to defaults. If in doubt use the "Copy to new policy" and then make your required changes

3. Just make sure all LUNS are properly mapped, If Windows 2008 then the LUNS as on-line so that you do restores - some advanced functionality is aonly available when using a query as the client selections

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Can't see a problem with just upgrading the Media Server but as VCB will no longer be used you may want to remove it anyway

2. You should be able to do this - you will need to go to the VMWare tab and ensure that you then have all of the setting you require as, no longer being VCB, it will change the setting to defaults. If in doubt use the "Copy to new policy" and then make your required changes

3. Just make sure all LUNS are properly mapped, If Windows 2008 then the LUNS as on-line so that you do restores - some advanced functionality is aonly available when using a query as the client selections

Hope this helps

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

That's Great - many thanks.

AJ