cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCenter Plugin for Netbackup Restore Confirmation

iVaibhav
Level 4

Hello Community Members,

I have a question regarding VMWare plugin for Netbackup which can be used as self service restores for VMWare.

How does a VMWare Admin know if a restore is Completed ... 

They  start the Restore but still need to depend on us to know final status . 

Is there any location Netbackup posts a message showing that its done. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

@iVaibhav  This is the message you should see when the restore completes. I have verfied that this time stamp matches with the END time of the restore job.

VM_restore_message.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi @iVaibhav ..recovery via plugin is very transparent. Once restore is kicked off, all task activities are logged within vcenter  task & event tab including when the restore is done.  Entire process is just like how you initiate normal vm restore within netbackup and still able to see the restore activities within vcenter.  So to answer your question, vm admin do not need to contact netbackup admins for restore status if they initiate recovery. Thanks 

@Dollypee  Thanks for your response. 

I know this is a Netbackup Forum, but I looked in VCenter Console and wasn't able to find any Logs Related to Netbackup activity pertaining to restore.  May be I am missing something crucial here

The Administration Document for plugin does not specifies anything as well . 

If you can point to a relavent Document , it will be nice. 

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

@iVaibhav  This is the message you should see when the restore completes. I have verfied that this time stamp matches with the END time of the restore job.

VM_restore_message.png

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi @iVaibhav in vSphere client, select the specific vm you want to check backup or recovery status, then click on Tasks & Events tab. The Tasks view contains detailed activities related to Netbackup task as well as VMs related. While the Event view contains event views contains list of all events that occurred in the vCenter.

See following :

Tasks and Events Tab
When you select an object in the inventory, you can view the tasks and events associated with the object.
The Tasks & Events tab has two panels, Tasks and Events.
The Tasks panel contains a list of completed tasks and scheduled tasks in the vCenter Server system, and details about the task selected in the list.
The Events panel contains a list of all events that occurred in the vCenter Server system, and details about the event selected in the list.
Note
The Target column might have a slight delay before it is populated. The actual delay depends on the size of the inventory.

To view tasks, the vSphere Client must be connected to a vCenter Server system.
Required privilege: Read-Only
Note
If your vSphere Client is connected directly to an ESXi host, the Tasks & Events tab is labeled Events.

Viewing Tasks
You can view tasks that are associated with a single object or all objects in the vSphere Client inventory. The Tasks & Events tab lists completed tasks and tasks that are currently running.
By default, the tasks list for an object also includes tasks performed on its child objects. You can filter the list by removing tasks performed on child objects and by using keywords to search for tasks.
If you are logged in to a vCenter Server system that is part of a Connected Group, a column in the task list displays the name of the vCenter Server system on which the task was performed.

Also see this link : https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/95632443-133434970-0/v97546099-133434970

Once restore initiated, all activities are logged in TASKs & EVENTs. VM admin is also able to view status in the Netbackup recovery tab. 

@Tape_Archived 

Thanks  a lot. I was able to see the logs now after I referred to your snapshot. It was there but mixed up in a bunch of lines.

Thanks Again !!!!

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

@iVaibhav ..Glad this was resolved. You might have to mark my initial comment as solution since I had initially pointed you to check task & event tab for job details. Thanks