cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIRTUAL MACHINE BACKUP

CesarJimGon
Level 4

Hi.

We want to do virtual machine backups tests with the backup infraestructure we have, but we need to know are the best practices to backup virtual machines.

I am reading the best practices for virtual machines backups, but It doesn't mention the connectivity best practices, could you help me with this information?

Backup environment specifications:

1 Solaris 11 SPARC Master Server with 7.7.3 version Netbackup.

Regards.

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Which VM platform?

Marianne

Hi @CesarJimGon

Is the Solaris Master your media server as well? 

Please bear in mind that you need a backup host. Backup host can be NBU client, media or master server.
Best if your media server is also the backup host for best backup performance.
Only RHEL and SuSE Linux and Windows is supported as backup hosts. 

Herewith Best Practice TN w.r.t connectivity / transport modes:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH183072

Hi. It would be VMWare

Hi Marianne. 

The master server is Solaris SPARC 11. It's Master and Media Server too

RiaanBadenhorst

Ok, since you don't have a physical windows/linux media server you can only use what is called hotadd. If you had a physical windows/linux media server you could use either san or nbd (lan) transport.

If I had a Media Server, this should be physical? or virtual?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

IMO, your question is not the right question to start with.  First you need to understand the VMware transport methods - remember these are not NetBackup transport methods, they are VMware transport methods which NetBackup can leverage... *IF*... the media servers of the correct type are present :

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH183072

Then envisage the scalability and performance and capacity impact to your infrastructure of the different VMware transport methods.  Then envisage the cost of deploying the best possible solution, and then scale back (if such a thing is even sensible or possible) according to budget.