cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM File Level Recovery for XFS

jeffw4
Level 3

Just curious if this is ever going to be fixed? This is a major issue and we continue to see releases that dont solve the problem.

11 REPLIES 11

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

I searched for engineering escalations on this topic opened since 12/31/15 and didn't find any. I also searched the NetBackup Administrator's Guide volume 1 and the NetBackup for VMware admin guide, and didn't find any restrictions regarding XFS. I likely need to improve my search.

Please say, what's broken in your experience, what version of RedHat and XFS, and what version of NetBackup.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @Lowell_Palecek

This is a feature that is not yet supported by Veritas.
So, any kind of support call would be met by 'Not Supported' statement and advice customers to log 'Request for enhancement'.

The latest NetBackup-77x-8x-in-virtual-environments-Oct-09-2017.pdf lists  VMware guest operating systems supported for file-level recovery in Table 12.
Still ext4 only. 

There is no official web site for users to log 'Request for enhancement' - they have to approach their local Veritas SE's, who will then submit requests to Product Management.

I have heard in an update session that this feature is 'on the list' but no fixed date for release as yet.

@Lowell_Palecek you will definitely want to broaden your search. A simple search on these forums for just XFS turns up multiple posts and I know there are surveys that Veritas is doing that have this item on them.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Support-Linux-XFS/m-p/814744#M219245

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/VMware-XFS-support/m-p/822216#M222450

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/xfs-filesystem-in-vmware-virtual-machine/m-p/603460#M151665

I have also reached out to my sales person and SE in regards to this, but I also wanted to post here as this seems to not be getting the due attention it deserves. File level recovery for virtual Linux serves with XFS is a big deal as the file system has been out for quie some time now and is still not supported by Veritas.

THis is a major issue for us as well... Our SE knows but it seems like Veritas is really falling down on the job.  This has been an issue for a many years.  BMR does work with XFS but adds a whole new level of complexity to a system restore... 

Genericus
   VIP   
Please notify us when this is available.
NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

DPeaco
   VIP   

I "believe" that in the release of 8.2 that XFS is supposed to be supported. I could be wrong but at least that's what I recall at the moment. But I'm not a Veritas employee but only an end-user. My hope.....is that XFS "is supported" when they release 8.2. I could sure use it right now. :) 

Thanks,
Dennis

Genericus
   VIP   

reposting for emphasis!

Please let users know when this will be available!

Genericus
   VIP   

Weekly update asking for information from Veritas - any ETA?

Genericus
   VIP   

Marianne says - end of july - any ETA?

I have been told that it will be available in 8.1.2 which should be released by the end of August.

Genericus
   VIP   

updating for emphasis!