Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Restore from One ESXi to Another with no vCenter

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

Is it possible to restores VMs from one EXI server to another if they are added as standalone servers. There is no vCenter for them.

ESXi 4.1 5.0 5.1 and 5.5

Netbackup 7.7

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Firstly - ESXi 4.0 and 5.0 are no longer supported by NBU 7.7.

See Virtual Systems Compatibility section of http://www.veritas.com/docs/000025229 

If ESX servers were never controlled by vCenter server, you should be able to add credentials for each ESX/ESXi server and select as restore destination.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks Marianne,

Did VMware stopped backup APIs for the free version of ESXi. My understanding is it still works but I was told this on the field that we can no longer take backups of VM that belong to free esxi server

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks Marianne,

Did VMware stopped backup APIs for the free version of ESXi. My understanding is it still works but I was told this on the field that we can no longer take backups of VM that belong to free esxi server

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am not up to date with ESX or ESXi versions supported or not supported.

Have you checked OS Compatibility Guide and 'Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment'?

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

I did some research and here are the details - 

Netbackup software compatibility gives no clue about this. Searched 77 and 76 compatibility.

But I confirmed that Vmware stopped supporting snapshots on online VMs thus limiting Netbackup to perform backups. 

This limitation is uniform but known across other vendors like Veeam. They just dont support free ESXi version due to the same reason.