cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM backup failed with error code -20 (invalid command parameter)

T_N
Level 6

Hi All

I have issue with VMware backup policy, I got error message after I click OK to close backup policy.

Policy: VMW-NCHK -- client: nchkarccol02-2012.commscope.com (VMware backup host: ctcvrts) --
 Snapshot could not be created with VMware_v2 method.

Error code 20 : invalid command parameter

Policy: VMW-NCHK -- client: nchkdhcp01.commscope.com (VMware backup host: ctcvrts) --

Policy: VMW-NCHK -- client: nchkbpm01.commscope.com (VMware backup host: ctcvrts) --

Policy: VMW-NCHK -- client: nchkwsus01.commscope.com (VMware backup host: ctcvrts) --

(Status 20)

Anyone see it before ? Thank you.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I found the issue and resolved it. the issue is vcenter password also I switched to windows meia server in VMWare backup host option and removed everything in VMware access hosts in Master property. Backup jobs worked well. Thank you very much everyone concern about this issue :)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @T_N,

Tell us more about your environment? What is OS and NBU version on backup host?

VMbackupHostProperties.JPG

Thiago

Thank you Thiago. Backup host is running on master server (solaris 10). We have 2 vcenters and 2 media servers (virtual server). Master is backup host that connects to vcnter1 and 2 media servers are backup hosts they connect to vcneter2. We don't have any issue between media servers and vcneter2. I think we have connection issue between backup host (master server) and vcenter1 but I am able to ping from master server to vcenter1 and telnet through 443. Any idea on it ? Thank you.

Tom 

it worked well before, it happened in last couple days.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi Tom,

As far I know you can use only windows and linux as vmware backup host...But you said that it was working with solaris few days ago right?

So, tell me what is transport mode tha are you using? NBD/SAN?

If NBD, did you check tcp ports 443 and 902 from backup host to vcenter/esx?

Take a look this articles:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Netting-Out-NetBackup/Nuts-and-bolts-in-NetBackup-for-VMware-Transport-me...

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH183072

we use nbd transport mode, I am able to telnet through 443

Marianne
Level 6
Your Solaris master can absolutely not be the backup host. Your media servers can be the backup host(s).

Please double-check backup host selection as per the 2nd link in my previous post

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi Tom,

I agree with @Marianne. I dont know how this backups was working before, but I think necessary that you change your vmbackup host. What is OS and NBU version of your VM media servers?

Thiago

Marianne
Level 6

@T_N

Please help us to help you?

Please double-check in the VMware policy which server is selected as Backup Host.

Open the VMware tab and tell us what you see.

I found the issue and resolved it. the issue is vcenter password also I switched to windows meia server in VMWare backup host option and removed everything in VMware access hosts in Master property. Backup jobs worked well. Thank you very much everyone concern about this issue :)