cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM backup is failing

john10
Level 6
Hi All, NBU VERSION: - 7.6.1 OS - 2012 One of my vm client backup is failing with 156 and Vm team able to create and delete the snaps manually and system writers are also stable on the server side. Error from detail job summary :- Vmware_freeze vixapi freeze (VMware snapshot) failed with 1 - unrecognised error An error occurred while saving the snap shot :failed to quiesce the virtual machine Vfm_freeze Please confirm whether “virtual disk” service is required mandate to start in the server as its in stopped state .
6 REPLIES 6

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

When the VM team is doing the snapshots are they using quiesce file system ? Ask as this in principle what netbackup does

In my experience 99% of snapshot problems are caused by things inside the VM, on Windows systems a problem with the VSS system is usually the culprit

Besides the abovem I have see low available memory, high CPU load, high disk latency cause this kind of problem.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

john10
Level 6
Hi Michael, Thanks for your reply. No VMware team is not using to quiesce while creating snapshot . And also Vss writers are stable on box . Coming latency and high I/O utilisation I will once again check with respective teams

john10
Level 6
Hi Michael, When vm team is selecting an option "quiesce file system" snap shot is failing , but only "Sql writers are not stable " on server and wintel restated VMware service also still backup is failing with error code 40 so what would be next troubleshooting steps to fix the issue

watsons
Level 6

1. Check if this is relevant: 

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000021380

2. Since VMware side can create & delete snapshot manually, try this to see if the snapshot creation/deletion works via the API (that NBU is using):

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000042545

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

"Sql writers are not stable" points to the problem being with the VSS snapshot of the SQL inside the VM, the usually problem is a too small shadow area. The next thing I would look for is memory/resources exhaustion messages in the event logs inside the VM.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

PatS729
Level 5

Try re-installing vmware tools on the vm in question.