cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM backups over SAN. Is it possible to PureDisk

Amaan
Level 6

My question is as below:

ESX host is connected to SAN swith as the Windows 2003 media server which runs NBU 7.0.1. PureDisk gets its storage from EMC through SAN switch. If the configuration was defined to move data on SAN, how the data movement happens. Does it go to media server through SAN and goes to PD through network (cisco switch). how it actually happens?

Will the data buffers on media server be used if we use SAN data movement option?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The simple answer is that you write PD data over the network ...

So your VMHost takes the backup data over the SAN and passes it to PD over the LAN

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Yes the data will flow from your client to the media server through the ip network and the media server will push the data to the puredisk appliance and the apliance will dedup the data and save it on disk.

Amaan
Level 6

But in this option I am trying to use data flow through SAN, why it goes through NIC?

Amarnath_Sathis
Level 5

ESX Host - Media Server - Storage.

But I think this wont take the IP Network. I will go to storage network

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The simple answer is that you write PD data over the network ...

So your VMHost takes the backup data over the SAN and passes it to PD over the LAN

Hope this helps

Amaan
Level 6

Mark,

PD is also getting its storage from SAN and attached to SAN swith. why media server will not move it to PD through SAN?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
PureDisk can provide its functionality through LAN only. Media server can not write data to PurDisk's datastore although it is visible on SAN. Only PureDisk can write data to its own datastore with consistency.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Amaan - do you feel your question has been answered?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I hope you mean answered! - if so dont forget to "Mark as Solution" the answer that helped the most to assist others searching for a similar issue in the future - thanks

Amaan
Level 6

Thanks so much. Now my question has been answered.