cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM recovery to a higher version of vSphere than it was backed up on.

data-backup
Level 4
Can we recover a virtual machine backed up via snapshot method in NetBackup 8.0 vSphere 6.5 update 2 to a vCenter in vSphere 6.7 update 3. 

Note: I understand NBU 8.0 is an old version but please don't ask to upgrade.Thanks.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@data-backup 

Whether this type of restore is supported by VMware, I don't know.

Using NBU - not possible with version 8.0.

vSphere 6.7 update 3 is only supported as from NBU 8.1.1.

Please see NBU 8.x OS SCL:
https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/OSVC/100046000/100046611/en_US/nbu_80_scl.html?_...

pats_729
Level 6
Employee
Hi
I am not aware of any such limitations which can prevent you restoring VM to a higher version of vcenter than it is backup from. But the fact is NBU 8.0 doesn’t support vcenter 6.7 itself hence chances are less that the restore would work.

Here is a workaround provided if the underlying esxi are running version 6.5 or NBU 8.0 that supports. Then you could add credentials for that particular esxi and target the restore to it. Restore procedures doesn’t change it’s just you need to set the right destination.
Once restore is successful go back to vcenter and perform inventory.

Hope it helps.

Thank you @Marianne for replying.

@pats_729 Thank you for replying. The VM was backed up when it was on vSphere 6.5 U2 (same version of esxi hosts). The VM environment is now  on vSphere 6.7 U3 (same version of esxi hosts) to which we want to restore the VM from backup. If I read your reply correctly,seems only way this restore is possible is if we have an esxi host running 6.5 U2.

Thank you.

I actually forgot to ask you what was the VMware hardware version when it was on 6.5 ? If that is supported by 6.7 then the restore should work even to vcenter 6.7 (but remember the fact that NBU 8.0 doesn’t support vcenter 6.7)
I don’t see any other limitations apart from this.

Well if everything has already updated to 6.7 then unfortunately no choice but to upgrade NBU to higher version that supports 6.7 .

I guess Upgrade to NB 8.2 or 8.1.2 should quick and safe unless it’s not a big environment.

@pats_729 Thanks again. I'm going to find out. Though I think an higher version of vSphere would more than likely support the VM hardware version from a previous version vSphere.

@pats_729 I'm afraid upgrade is not an option for various reasons.

Give a try for restore. No harm in trying it.

When Veritas says not supported means it’s not tested and may or may not work.

May the power be with you!!

Hi @data-backup 

The issue at play here is that the VDDK version used by NetBackup 8.0 is not supported by vSphere 6.7 U3 (this is a VMware support issue not strictly a NetBackup one). As others have said give it a try and see if it works. 

From my point of view the concern is that you are using an unsupported configuration for your current backups - NetBackup 8.0 is not supported backing up a vSphere 6.7 environment as per our (and VMware's) compatibility list. If you run into problems, I have a feeling that you would be on your own to solve them. Of course if you aren't protecting your VMware environment with NetBackup anymore, then that's a different matter.

Back to your original question - restoring a backup taken with NBU 8.0 on vSphere 6.5, to a supported NBU version with vSphere 6.7 U3 should be okay - the key here is using a supported NBU version.

David