cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM tags are not displayed

LCoileux
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to configure VM backups on a Netbackup 8.1.1 environment, and I'm facing an issue when using tags. They are set on vCenter side, but they are not displayed when using the query.

I've first thought that there was caused by a description empty, as mentionned in the doc : "Be aware of a known bug in vSphere 6.0 when either the tag description or category description shown in the VMware vSphere web client is blank. If either field is blank, all tag queries fail with a NetBackup Status Code 4261", but it's not related.

When I try to query and show VM included / excluded when I set a tag, all servers are failed with an error "Failed to obtain SSO certificate using VMware vCloud Suite APIs, msg =[java.lang.NullPointerException], display name = [vrlog.sg.net.intra], server= [sins00120134-bck], nbustatus=114, severity=2"

I've tried this KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2050273, but also, it seems that it's not related.

Port 443 is opened, there is no communication issue (I think) as when I query with another field, it's well displayed.

Backups are OK with another query, but tags are not backed up (or restored) as when a server is restored, it has no more tags assigned.

I guess it's not related to the credentials as backups are OK. Do you have an idea where the issue could come ?

2 REPLIES 2

GeForce123
Level 5

Make sure that the VMware-vapi-endpoint service is running on the vCenter server. This service is how NetBackup performs VMware Intelligent Policy queries if VMware tags are used in the query. If tag's are not used in the query, the query returns without any issues as you are seeing.

This could be your problem.

RahulSharma
Level 2

From Vmware admin guide:

"In Vsphere client, the attribute must have a value for at lease one virtual machine"

So when you create a global tag in vcenter, it is not done yet. You have to edit tag of atleast 1 VM and add some values to this tag for the VM.

For example" Tag is "MY_TAG"

Locate a VM -> Right Click -> Annotations/Tags ->  Give a value say "MY_IDENTIFIER"

Once saved. This information would take some time to propagate to NBU. <24 Hours by default>

However, you can close the Java Console and Open again to rescan the policies. Your tag might just be visible now.