cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMDK Backup without SQL Server Recovery Option

A_J_A
Level 3

If we do VMDK backups of our servers, and do NOT have the "SQL Server Recovery" option enabled, I believe my only option to "recover" a SQL Server database in NetBackup is to do a complete image recovery. Is that correct?

If I handle SQL Server backups with another tool (SQL Server native backups, or a 3rd party tool), can this affect the recoverability of a VMDK image restore? Or would this be completely independent. Put another way, if the VMDK backup is successful, will recovering this image bring SQL Server online at the point the VMDK backup ran regardless if any SQL Server backups are taken through another method?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

when you run VMDK backup without SQL Server Recovery option, then there are two drawbacks:

- you must run complete image restore to bring SQL databases back, BUT:

- a state of SQL databases in this type of backup is only "crash consistent", so their recoverability can be compromised

SQL Server is in this strategy completely unaware of VMDK backup, so it does not interfere with other types of backups.

Why you run VMDK without SQL Server Recovery option - lack of licenses?

Michal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

when you run VMDK backup without SQL Server Recovery option, then there are two drawbacks:

- you must run complete image restore to bring SQL databases back, BUT:

- a state of SQL databases in this type of backup is only "crash consistent", so their recoverability can be compromised

SQL Server is in this strategy completely unaware of VMDK backup, so it does not interfere with other types of backups.

Why you run VMDK without SQL Server Recovery option - lack of licenses?

Michal

A_J_A
Level 3

Thanks! Right now we have separate NetBackup jobs using the SQL Server backup extension to handle the full/trans log backups. If I remember correctly from the documentation, using the "SQL Server Recovery" option within a VMDK backup requires the installation of the Symantec VSS driver on each client. Is this still true?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

not actually "requires". The main purpose of this driver is the ability to create correct full backup metadata and subsequently to truncate logs correctly. See chapter About the Symantec VSS provider for vSphere in the doc.

Rgds