cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMGuestOS field in NBU VIP query not filtering

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

Has anyone actually had the VMGuestOS field actually filter VM clients from a policy correctly? No matter my operator or value parameters I cannot seem to be able to use the field to filter my VMs properly (at least when checked using the Test Query option).

Anyone else been able to use that field to filter VMs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have no idea how I found this before, becuase I tried to find it again just now and came up completely empty (I ended up finding it in an IM conversation I had with a TSE back in March), so please bookmark this because you'll never find it again:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk41pubs/ApiReference/vim.vm.GuestOsDescriptor.GuestOsIdentifier.html

I'm sure there was a good reason I never threw this into a TechNote.  (Well, besides the fact that it's VMware's knowledge and not ours :) )

There may also be a more up-to-date list somewhere else - or a vSphere 5 version - but maybe you'll have better luck with the search engines than I've had today...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VirtualED
Level 5

I have used many queries without a problem.  Can you provide an example of a query that is not working?  Also what OS is the Master server?

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

Master server is Windows 2008 R2.

I'm attempting to filter on Windows or Linux virtual machines.

Even a simple query such as:

vmware:/?filter=VMGuestOS Contains "Windows"

returns zero matches

VirtualED
Level 5

The query will fail because the VMGuestOS Contains Windows will only filter:

Windows 7 VMs as the VMGuestOS for Windows 7 is windows7*.  Actually that won't work also because the case is wrong.

Here is a list of Windows base VMGuestOS:

win2000AdvServGuest Windows 2000 Advanced Server
win2000ProGuest Windows 2000 Professional
win2000ServGuest Windows 2000 Server
win31Guest Windows 3.1
win95Guest Windows 95
win98Guest Windows 98
windows7_64Guest Windows 7 (64 bit)

Since vSphere API 4.0
windows7Guest Windows 7

Since vSphere API 4.0
windows7Server64Guest Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)

Since vSphere API 4.0
winLonghorn64Guest Windows Longhorn (64 bit) (experimental)

Since VI API 2.5
winLonghornGuest Windows Longhorn (experimental)

Since VI API 2.5
winMeGuest Windows Millenium Edition
winNetBusinessGuest Windows Small Business Server 2003
winNetDatacenter64Guest Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (64 bit) (experimental)

Since VI API 2.5
winNetDatacenterGuest Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

Since VI API 2.5
winNetEnterprise64Guest Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (64 bit)
winNetEnterpriseGuest Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
winNetStandard64Guest Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (64 bit)
winNetStandardGuest Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
winNetWebGuest Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
winNTGuest Windows NT 4
winVista64Guest Windows Vista (64 bit)
winVistaGuest Windows Vista
winXPHomeGuest Windows XP Home Edition
winXPPro64Guest Windows XP Professional Edition (64 bit)
winXPProGuest Windows XP Professional

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

Bingo!

I knew I was missing something, filtering in the vSphere Client with Guest OS = "Windows" works just fine, but it wasn't working in the Symantec query and I couldn't see why.

do you have a full listing of VMGuestOS fields that I can reference? I also need to distinguish between RedHat4/RedHat5/SuSE versions as well in my policies.

CRZ
Level 6

I have no idea how I found this before, becuase I tried to find it again just now and came up completely empty (I ended up finding it in an IM conversation I had with a TSE back in March), so please bookmark this because you'll never find it again:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk41pubs/ApiReference/vim.vm.GuestOsDescriptor.GuestOsIdentifier.html

I'm sure there was a good reason I never threw this into a TechNote.  (Well, besides the fact that it's VMware's knowledge and not ours :) )

There may also be a more up-to-date list somewhere else - or a vSphere 5 version - but maybe you'll have better luck with the search engines than I've had today...

VirtualED
Level 5

On the right of the values textbox, there is a folder icon that can be used to browse the vSphere environment and pull up a list of available GuestOS availabile in your environment.